It's What Real Cowgirls Wear.

I was having a conversation with someone at work recently about how many people today who consider themselves "cowboys" and "country" really aren't reflecting the style properly.

True, the style genre evolves. Trends go out and come back in. But when I hear people say "I'm dressing like a cowboy/cowgirl," I have a solid picture in my brain as to what they would wear. And then I am always disappointed.

Here's a clue people, true western wear does not involve loud, bright colors and graphic prints. It's a lot more subtle. I know, because I grew up with a grandfather who wore legitimate country wear every day of his life. It was always jeans, with brown cowboy boots (very well worn in) and a button down "work" shirt in a fairly light color. There was usually some kind of faded print on the shirt; and that was key, it was well worn in.

This is what real cowboys wore. They wore it when they took you out to dinner. They wore it when they took you fishing in the summer time. They even wore it when they were sitting around with you on summer vacation watching your afternoon "stories." (My grandfather liked to watch General Hospital and the Young and the Restless.)

Bottom line, it was a standard uniform. And it worked.

Why all the talk about western wear? Well, I came across this really sweet True Religion shirt that totally reminded me of Grandpa.



It has the grungy/western appeal to it. And I very much like it. Yes, thinking about putting it on my Fall wardrobe list along with the soft gloves.

Guess I'll be going for a punk/western look this Fall. (Yes, I am very grateful to have a job where I can dress so casual.)

Comments

Popular Posts