Sicko.

It was "date night" with the husband last night. This usually means "dinner and a movie" with me and my husband. Last night's movie choice was Michael Moore's new documentary, "Sicko." And it had me all over the place with my emotions.

Within the first 15 minutes of the movie I was crying. (But there wer funny parts too.) You were shown story after story of people who died because they were denied medical care, despite having health insurance. Then you get a few stories about people who can not afford health insurance and have to choose NOT to receive medical care for serious conditions. Then there are the people who are attempting to get health insurance, but are denied because they have had previous health conditions.

That last one was something I was not aware of... The list of "pre-existing conditions" that could prevent you from qualifying for health insurance range from diabetes and HIV to anemia and a yeast infection.

A yeast infection! You learn the list is long and pretty much includes anything.

This is bullshit people. I know first hand how crappy the health insurance industry can be. It took me about four months and 20 different phone calls to find a primary care physician recently. I had never had a physical as an adult, and it was time to just get one. But every time I called a doctor in this city to see if anyone was accepting new patients, I kept getting a "No."

Then I went to book a check-up with my gyno. And I was told, "Well, unless you are seeking treatment for a specific condition, your primary care physician can just see you."

"Umm," I said. "No. I don't have a PCP, and I DO want to talk about something specific with the doctor."

They ended up getting me an appointment about a month out. But this is ridiculous. I only ever go to a doctor every year and a half. I haven't been to the walk-in clinic in YEARS. And I can't even remember the last time I had an emergency room visit. My health insurance company makes a great profit off of me, as I cost them nothing. But I expect to be seen when I feel it is time for a check up.

This movie angered me. It angered me because there is no reason why people should be denied medical care ever. It should be illegal to deny someone care because their health insurance company dictates the care as being "alternative" and "unnecessary."

I'm sorry, but telling a woman with a brain tumor that you don't see her condition as "life threatening" is criminal. Even more so when she dies because hospitals will not treat her.

I won't say much more, except the following:
  • As a well-off woman, I would happily pay more in taxes if it ensured that other Americans could be healthy and educated. (As people say, it's "We, not Me.")
  • I can not wait to move to Canada.
  • And, you must see this movie.

Comments

Anonymous said…
>"pre-existing conditions"<

You know what else is pre-existing condition? Pregnancy. So if you change insurers during the nine month stretch, good luck finding an insurer who will cover it. We got to find out about this first hand and let me tell you how happy it made me. We have the stupidest health care system in the world.
Me said…
THAT IS UNBELIEVABLE CRAP!

I so wish you could sue health insurance companies. But I don't think you can.

Popular Posts