Your Body. Your Choice.

I was walking through Downtown Crossing last week when I came across people set up at a table trying to collect signatures and funds to impeach Dick Cheney.

My thought to that was , "What's the point? He only has about a year and half left. Just let this lame-duck administration finish their term. Let's start focusing on positive movements for next year's elections. Let's not waste any effort getting too much more angry with the current fellas. Plus, if Dick Cheney can shoot a man , be implicated in a national scandal and be a bastard grandfather and not acknowledge both parents of his grand kid; can we really get him out of office with an impeachment? This guy is somewhat 'untouchable.'"

But now, I see another headline that just greatly disappoints me about this administration, and I have to speak up and out against it. Bush vetoed the bill to remove stem cell limits. (Jackass!)

Now, while I appreciate his ability to be loyal and stick with his political views; this guy needs wake-up and hear the call of the nation.

I would think that if the people who these stem cells come from are okay with their essence being used for science and mankind, then he should get over it and be okay with it too. I mean, who made him the authority of my body? If I am okay with donating my unused embryos to science, then they should be used however they are needed.

Maybe this is lame, but I equate it to organ donation. My Arizona drivers license (which doesn't expire till I am 65) notes that I am an organ donor. If I'm dead, please, feel free to pilfer my organs. I am going to be cremated anyway; so if all this Bikram yoga pays off and my "shit" is still good, then hell yes, please use it. It would be wasteful not too. (And you all know I am on this whole "recycling" kick anyway.)

Same goes for any embryos I may have processed and stored at a fertility clinic (which as of now, is none.) If I am not gonna use all of them, after a certain period of time, I am more than happy to sign a waiver for them to be used for whatever purpose they are needed. If it helps save the lives of others, why would I NOT want to have them used?

It confuses me. And even though I am a registered Republican (though I have never voted Republican outside a Presidential primary), I think it's time the party evolves. Not all of us are God-fearing Christians. Some of us are dying to see a party that comes back to the middle and does some compromising. That's what public service is supposed to be about. Helping and working with others. Not pushing and holding to dear life to your own crap agenda that does not work for most of the people you represent.

The jerk.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Eleven U.S. soldiers have died over the past 48 hours in Iraq. I wonder if that even crossed Bush's mind as he signed this bill preventing life-saving research. I think we can safely say that one of the greatest threats to human life is George Bush.

This administration is a disgrace, the worst ever. I can't wait until it's over. History will not be kind.

Popular Posts