Job Myths.

Just saw this article on Boston.com about six major job myths...

I agree with the writer on every single myth. Especially the following two...

#1. Job hopping ruins your resume. Job hopping is one of the best ways to sustain passion and personal growth in your career. It also helps you build a network quickly and allows you to build your skill set faster than if you worked in the same job year after year. The learning curve is always highest at the beginning. (I have had 9 jobs in the 8 years I have been out of school. And I have an eclectic set of skills because I had a few different types of jobs.)

#6. Work hard and good things will come. You'll actually be rewarded only if you're likable. People get hired for their qualifications, but they get promoted because people like working with them. So spend your days trying to figure out what people need and what people want, and how you can help them. Empathy makes you likable. (So very, very true. This is why it is important to like the people you work for... I've worked at a company in the past three years where only the brown-nosers and the people who liked to sleep "up" got promoted. I am neither of those things. And I was only able to get so far up the ladder because I bitched and complained. But I refuse to kiss ass, and I refuse sleep "up.")

Comments

Popular Posts