Trash Your Wedding Dress?

I saw this article in the Styles section this weekend about brides who are taking their wedding dresses and "trashing" them for photo shoots.

Sounds awful? Well, it's actually meant to be artistic.

Brides are putting their dresses back on and posing for photographers in situations where the dress gets ruined. Photo settings have included plunging the bride in water, having her roll around in mud to even lighting the dress on fire!



I got married three years ago. And people have asked me what I have done with my wedding dress. I still have mine hanging in my dressing room. I haven't even paid to have it cleaned after wearing it on my wedding day. It went off my body, straight back into the garment bag.

And even though I will likely never wear the dress again, I can't imagine "trashing" it. It would break my heart to damage a very expensive dress beyond wearable condition.

I hope this trend fades fast.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm glad you wouldn't trash a wedding dress. I can't believe that people wouldn't DONATE their unwanted dresses to others who would love to have them for their special day. - Muzz
Jamie Striplin said…
I'm a photographer and a newley wed... and I love the idea!! In fact I just had one of my photographer friends photograph me in the dress in a fountain! It was tons of fun... I didn't spend over $500 for my dress so I didn't feel like I had to hang on to it forever and besides... who would wear it again! If I have a daughter the styles will be different and she'll want her own dress... it's just a fun artistic way to deal with a piece of clothing! Maybe I'll have what's left of it made into pillows or something!
Anonymous said…
i was just talking to my family about this and googled it to show pics to my sister and your blog came up on the first page of results...yesssssssssss thats some kick ass SEO for ya...haha
Anonymous said…
I am dying to do this! I honestly can't imagine my daughter, if I'm blessed enough to have one, wanting a dress that is decades old. And what if it doesn't fit? Personally I think it's a great idea, after all the stress of planning a wedding I love the idea of kicking back and doing something FUN with the dress :

Popular Posts