"How's Work Going?"

It's been an odd couple of weeks... I've had a few former work colleagues contact me asking how my current job is going.

It's odd because I don't really keep in touch that often (though I would very much like to) with former work colleagues. But this gives me a chance to write about my current job, which I haven't had a chance to really do since joining.

The short of it is, I love my current job.

When Joe the Shaman told me last week that I had "manifested something great" for myself, he wasn't lying. I have. When I left my job last fall, I was so emotionally, mentally and creatively burnt out. And I had no one to blame but myself for the situation.

But I quit my job and decided to rest and let the next job "come find me." I thought long and hard about what my priorities were at this stage in my career, and I turned down any opportunity that didn't fit in line with those priorities... Which included:
  • A reasonable work day. (I work strictly 9am to 5pm now.)
  • A competitive salary. (I make what I think is extremely fair compensation now.)
  • Being able to see my recommendations come to fruition. (If I recommend we do something, and there are resources for it, it gets done. Bottom line.)
  • Having transparency into what I was contributing. (It's been very clear whether or not something I have done or recommended has been successful. So far, I am doing a very,very, very good job.)
  • Working with extremely smart and productive people. (People who are focused and just like to get things done.)
These are things that I am very grateful for... And, on top of all this, I get an INCREDIBLE vacation package. (I know you know... I've written about it before.)

I think having a job you like going to every day is important. And I wouldn't want to live any other way. Don't get me wrong though, if I lost this job tomorrow and I HAD to have an income, I would go out there and get a job... Any job. But I wouldn't look at is a "long term" job. I would continue to try and find one that fit me better in the mean time.

And besides, I no longer choose to have my happiness based on what job I have. The job should compliment my life, but not identify it.

It's similar to when I was 22 and living in Tucson and miserable... I decided the job I had (producing TV news and promotions) wasn't worth having to live in that city anymore. So I decided to up and move to NYC. And all the pieces just fell into place work-wise. So did my living situation and social life.

I wasn't worried about making the wrong decision. I was worried about making no decision.

Sometimes, you just have to take a leap of faith.

Comments

Popular Posts