Wedding Dresses.

I have had quite a few conversations recently with various friends about wedding dresses.

I have to admit... I was quite an unusual bride. I wouldn't say I was "disconnected" about the whole wedding process. It's just that by the time I got married, I had spent so much time working with brides and weddings that I was so NOT interested in having a wedding myself. But The Husband really wanted one. And I am very glad we did have one.

But I wasn't the usual bride where I talk about my wedding and share all the details with everyone. I did not want a shower. I certainly did not want a bachelorette party. I barely wanted to register. (We had a lot of what we needed already.) And one thing I certainly did not do was force friends or family to come out shopping with me for my gown.

There's certainly nothing wrong with having that tradition. But I am the kind of person who just likes to get things done when I have it on my agenda. And waiting around for friends and family, and then have to take into consideration their opinions, was not my thing. So I bought my gown alone.

I wore a Rivini silk mikado A-line strapless gown. There were tiny buttons running down the back. There was sheer material at the drop waist that added texture to the middle section with a "swooping" effect. I added a hot pink flower pinned to the waist. There was absolutely no veil. And I wore hot pink flip flops with a white peony flower on them underneath.

I styled my own hair for the day. In fact, I had no idea how I was gonna wear it till about an hour before I had to go take pictures. I had been styling my centerpieces up until about two hours before the wedding. (I refused to let other people do a lot of things for me at the wedding.)

Here was the final result.



It was really important to me that on my wedding day I look like me.

I have seen so many brides look un-like themselves in my time. Especially when they tie their hair up in a french knot with a tiara and a veil. The tiara and veil thing I can kinda understand. But I think if you don't wear your hair up that often in your every day life, you really shouldn't do a sleek up-do on your wedding day. It's un-natural. Instead, do a looser up-do knot, and add some texture to it.

I could go on and on with wedding advice for others. But I left that world about four years ago. And I wanted to post a picture of me in my wedding dress because a few of my friends have asked to see one.

I still have the dress, the flower and the flip flops. And I still love the whole outfit today, three years after getting married. I would not change a thing about that day.

Comments

bonbonagogo said…
I love it...and I appreciate all the gems of advice you give me. Thank you, Missus! :D

Popular Posts