I Can Run!?!?

So, I've never been a "runner" when it comes to exercise. I've always hated. Always made it a point to tell people that I hate running. I don't even like jogging... That's how much I have hated running.

It's not like I am lazy or was out of shape... I could dance for hours. Or do yoga. Or even hit the elliptical machine for an hour and walk on the treadmill. But when it came to running on pavement or the treadmill, it was always ruled "out."

Since I was a kid and had to start running in gym class, I would always develop side "stitches" when I ran. It would be about 30 seconds into the run, and I would be in major pain. Usually just on my left side. And I subscribe to the philosophy of, "If it hurts, stop doing it."

Or at least I used to...

This morning, The Husband and I got up and went to the gym together. We spent the first hour weight training. I wanted to show him a few of the training moves I have learned. He was very impressed with my strength, form and endurance. But what impressed him most came after the weight training...

After doing various lifting and pushing exercises, we decided to hop on the treadmill for a little cardio. Normally, I speed walk on the treadmill. And that's it. But today, I decided I would run fora third of the time.

Instead, I ran for half the time.

Yep, that's right, I ran. Well, jogged "aggressively." But still, I was not walking. And you know what? It was awesome!

Not once did I feel any kind of pain. No side stitches. No back pain. No knee or ankle pain. It was great!

I have no idea why I was able to suddenly start running... Could be all the yoga I have been doing... But I am very proud of myself. And The Husband was very proud of me too.

"I am impressed, you held way better than I expected," he said. (He really knows how much I hated running.)

But not anymore. I don't hate running. And I am excited for what I was able to do today. I am looking forward to the next gym visit when I can run again.

As I like to always say... "You can't stop progress."

("But you can impede it a little..." As my boss would say.)

Comments

Popular Posts