Whatever Lola Wants... Lola Gets...

Not sure how I feel about this...

A few months back, I heard about the Boston Globe planning to put out a monthly lifestyle & fashion magazine. I thought, "Cool. Should be interesting. Boston is often over-looked as being an originally fashionable city. This could help change that perspective. And who doesn't love reading lifestyle material, especially when it is specific to your own city?"

Then, earlier this week, a press release was put out by the NY Times company (who owns the Globe) about the name of the new magazine...

Lola.

Hmm.... I'm not quite sure why that name was chosen. The name is of Spanish origin. And do you know what it means????

"Sorrows."

Yes. That is what "Lola" means. So how that is appropriate for a lifestyle magazine, I do not know. Why not something simple, like "Boston Style"?

How the hell does "Lola" fit?

Comments

Anonymous said…
And now I can't get that damned Kinks song out of my head.

In any case, if they were going for Spanish, why not Lana? :-).
Me said…
Ha! Ha! Sorry man. As soon as I read that they were calling it "Lola," the song immediately got stuck in my brain.

"Lana" is a variation on another name that means "precious awakening." Now, I think that would actually be a better name for the magazine. The "precious awakening" of Boston style.

Popular Posts