"Cajones" Versus "Cojones."

Last week sometime (can't recall which day exactly), we got a Staples delivery in the office.

One of the things on the list was an extra mobile filing cabinet. The spare box was tucked away near a desk, with the intention of only being taken out when someone needed a new filing cabinet. However...

While walking by the box last week, I noticed the printing on the box was written in Espanol. Now, despite having a father who's first language was Spanish, and despite growing up in a town so close to Mexico that illegal border crossers are captured every few days; I know no Espanol. (Nothing more than "Dónde está el bebé?") But something written in Espanol caught my eye...



"Why does it say 'cajones' on that there box?" I asked, with my voice piercing the silent office of 20 people. "Doesn't that mean 'balls'?"

People began to laugh. But I was serious. I mean, the box does in fact say "cajones" on it. Turns out, though, that with this spelling, it means "drawers." Not "balls." "Balls" in Spanish is (are?) "cojones."

We put that discussion to rest, thinking that it was done. Till today...

My boss, Mr. Sports, came back from a trip today. He was gone all last week, and missed out on all the "cojones" talk. He too walked by the box today, and pointed out to us that it read "cajones" on it.

So we had the discussion all over again.

Sometimes, it's good to circle back to topics... It was reassuring to know that I wasn't the only one who spotted the "cajones." I'm not the only sick-minded one.

Comments

Anonymous said…
LOL... you obviously took french because furniture was one of the first chapters in spanish!
Dan said…
I spotted it too, but was too perplexed to say anything. Drawers and cajones/cojones kind of go together though, dontcha think?
Me said…
Yes... Mr. Sports and I deduced that as well.

Popular Posts