I've Gained Lots Of Muscle!

I had a fitness "check-in" with the trainer this morning. That just means that before we do our workout, she pinches me with the body composition pinchers to see how much fat versus how much muscle I have. And boy have I gained some muscle!

My weight hasn't changed much since I started working out with her nine months ago. To be honest, I haven't changed my eating habits (not that I have tried, because I haven't)... I just wanted to get into the habit of working out.

You know... Being able to get up each day and say to myself, "Time to go workout!" That was my goal. And now, between yoga, pilates and training.. I workout about seven times a week.

"This is excellent," exclaimed my trainer. "This means when you do decide to change your eating habits, any weight you don't want is going to drop off much quicker."

"Why is that?" I asked.

"Because you've built up so much muscle, which in turn raises your metabolism," she explained. "So if you do switch to focusing on proteins and carbohydrates (good ones), your body is going to burn through them more efficiently and weight will drop."

She also added that if I had adjusted my eating habits at the beginning of our training, the weight would not have come off quickly.

"You need to build up muscle to efficiently and more permanently keep weight off," she said.

It all makes sense to me. I'll have to figure out what I am going to adjust the habits to though.

Since she realized how much progress I had made on the muscle-creation, she decided it was time to kick the training session up a notch... This meant heavier weights and more aerobic "bursts" between each weight exercise.

So today, I got to jump rope and do a mountain-climber type exercise in addition to switching to 20 and 22 pound weights.

I am a weight-training machine. But you won't see me downing protein shakes... Not ever.

Yay fitness!

Comments

Unknown said…
I'm with you on the weight training. I'm at a point with it that guys come over and say, "wow you're jacked!" and I love that!

Feeling really capable and strong is a huge bonus to working out. But changing my eating habits, eh, well any diet that won't allow chicken wings isn't for me!

Great job! Keep us posted on your progress!

Popular Posts