Perhaps It's Time For A New License?

I haven't lived in Arizona for nearly eight years. I haven't lived in NYC in nearly five years. Yet, for some reason, I have managed to not get a new driver's license or cell phone number in that time.

My cell phone number is still a Brooklyn number, and lies in the area code of 347. My driver's license is still the one that was issued to me when I was 22 and living in Tucson.

I haven't updated my cell phone number because there's no real point to. Long distance rates don't apply to cell phones. And my family and friends all had my number... So why change it if it still worked?

But my license... Well... I have a reason for not updating that too. Actually, a couple of reasons... Which include:
  • I don't own a car anymore. I don't drive regularly. So why update it?
  • It doesn't expire till I'm 65 years old. So why update it?
No lie people. My driver's license does not expire till I am 65 years old. In Arizona, when they issued it to me long ago, they automatically set it so that it wouldn't expire till I was 65. Don't believe me? Look for your self...



It doesn't expire till April 12, 2042.

I probably won't be eligible for social security payments at that age... But I will have to get a new license, finally.

However, I have now come to the conclusion that I need to get a Massachusetts license. No, I'm not planning on buying a car. It's just that it keeps getting harder to buy wine with my Arizona license.

Some establishments always give me a hard time, when I am carded, while buying alcohol. Restaurants, grocery stores, wine stores... You name it. First they see the Arizona logo on the card... Then they notice the expiration date. And I can't really blame them when they become skeptical.

I'll probably hold on to the license for a few more months. We may be moving (if our landlords decide to move back to Boston) this Spring. What's the point of changing it if I am going to have to update it again soon?

Comments

Vanessa said…
The expiration date is hysterical; I've never seen that before. I've pulled the same stunt, but mine only lasted 10 years. I finally updated to move only 5 months later. ARGGGH! I'll never be caught up in that respect.

Popular Posts