Bank Of America Credit Protection Plus.

Bank of America is shaaaaaady!

The Friday that I left for London, I called my Bank of America to let them know that I would be traveling abroad and that there would be activity on my credit card from London. While on the phone, the representative asked me if I was interested in the Credit Protection Plus program.

Now, I have been inadvertently enrolled in this program in the past. The way it worked back then is they automatically enrolled you in it UNLESS you let them know you didn't want it. And what it is is a protection against any interest on debt you have accrued on your card in the event that you lose your job or can't make the payment.

Well, I don't need this service. In fact, most people don't. It is billed monthly to your credit card and costs $0.95 per $100 of balance you carry.

So I told the representative on the phone, "No thanks. I am not interested. You do NOT have my permission to enroll me. Do not enroll me."

Well, I guess he didn't understand what I was saying... Because yesterday I got a notice in the mail that read, "Congratulations and thank you for enrolling in Credit Protection Plus. You have made a wise decision."

Umm... Anger ensues.

I call B of A this afternoon, when I finally have time, to tell them "take me off this service." I navigate my way through their phone system to get finally get a human, and here's how the conversation goes:

Rep: "I see you're a member of our Credit Protection Plus Program. Congratulations! How can I assist you today?"

("Congratulations?" Did I win something?)

Me: "Yeah. I'm actually calling about the program. When I called two weeks ago to let you all know I was going to be traveling abroad, the rep asked me if I was interested in joining the program. I told him specifically, 'YOU DO NOT HAVE MY PERMISSION TO ENROLL ME.' And now I find my self enrolled. Take me off now, please."

Rep: "Let me just look at the notes on the account."

She takes a few moments.

Rep: "I see that you were just enrolled last week. You should read through the benefits before deciding."

Me: "Umm.... Yeah... I don't care about the benefits. Unroll me now. You all didn't have my permission to enroll me. In fact, I told you specifically not to."

Rep: "Perhaps you didn't really listen to the representative when you called. If you just understood the benefits..."

Me, cutting her off: "Unroll me now. I'm not going to argue with you. You people enrolled me without my permission. Unroll me now. I don't care about the benefits."

Rep: "I'm doing it now, ma'am."

A few seconds later, the call ended.

What assholes though.

Don't you think?

Comments

Sarah said…
Chase is the same way!! When I called to dispute a charge the woman I spoke with was adamant about me enrolling in a similar program. In fact she didnt pose it as a question she said "I see you are not enrolled in this program, I am going to go ahead and get you set up" until I was like "Wait, what!? NO!". Seriously SHADY!
I've had many issues with BOA. They are such pushers!

They totally made me feel like a criminal after I got married and my husband and I joined accounts. They gave me such a hard time about closing my account and changing my name. It was seriously easier to get a new Soc. Sec. card. And we all know the brightest folks don't frequent those offices:)
Anonymous said…
So that person was basically telling you that you didn't listen and it's your fault?

Wow...great customer service. I'm glad I don't have B of A.
Me said…
Yep... They were basically telling me that I didn't listen before, and that I was crazy for not wanting it.
Anonymous said…
B of A and Sprint may tie for worst customer service stories ever. I had an eerily similar story happen to me with Sprint when they signed me up for a new plan after telling them I was NOT interested. It took almost 2 weeks of phone calls w/ incompetent reps to have them take me off the plan and not charge me in the process.
Dan said…
Those bastards. That's just wrong.
Vanessa said…
Yes, I think. Supreme assholes and just FYI, HSBC is the same way.
Schruender said…
I just called them right now to cancel mine and whenever I asked a question the guy just didn't answer it and moved on to something else. They kept emphasizing how it is "only $.95" per $100. It is funny how people think like that and yet if that same person gets asked by a homeless person on the street for a dollar you think they are reaching into the pocket?
Brian Klug said…
Heya! This happened to me too.

I've also made a wiki for people who have been enrolled in the program without their permission.
Aunty Proton said…
I've been with B of A for a long time, and while I've never had any trouble with this particular problem all this makes me very uneasy. I have had problems in the past where they tried to sign me up for a credit card without my permission. I've learned to keep a sharp eye on it and immediately tell them to take it off. I *think* I've made it clear to the teller ladies I know personally at my local branch. I had trouble with credit cards in my younger days but I gave them up and I'm adamant about the no credit card thing. But still I have to keep an eye on it.

Maybe I'll switch elsewhere.
Anonymous said…
I am soooo annoyed by Bank of America. So many problems. I was asked to sign up for the Credit Protection Plus plan. They made me feel like it was a great program and very helpful in time of need. Needless to say time of need came when I became jobless and moved out of the country. As soon as this all happened, I contacted Bank of America and the program department to make sure I was ok and the protection I signed up for went into effect.

I arrive back in the states about 8 months later only to find out they DID NOT implement the plan I signed up for when I asked for help.

I was told at the Bank of America branch in Union Square New York that I had to call Credit Protect over the phone. So we called right there at the branch in union Square. The guy who "helped" me made the call...he then passed me the phone and whoever I spoke with on the phone said they couldn't send me the info i need and updates on my account because they "tried to but the mail was returned to sender" I asked them what address they had..sure enough they had the correct address... When I agreed and told the guy it was indeed my address he replied with "oh we couldn't send your mail because we dont send mail overseas". ok...

I then went to another branch the following day after he told me he would take care of everything and I need to Fax him all my info including my visa..a letter of explanation etc... Well I arrived at the branch and there was a gentleman there who offered to fax over all of my papers..etc to them... it went through... I was told that it would take 4 to 6 days for them to be processed.. one month goes by and still nothing... I go into another BOA branch and the guy this branch called credit protection and they ask him to ask me if i understand my account is passed 180days.. HELLO duh!!!!!!!!

he then says to me..you have to call back on Monday cause now they are closed... I leave the branch and call today (Monday) I reach a girl at Credit Protection by the name of "Danielle". I explain my story..she puts me on hold and never comes back to the line..after 15 minutes of holding the line hangs up. I call right back. I get Danielle again. She says. "I spoke with my supervisor and basically tries to tell me my account was sent to collect on June 30th." What???? I sent my papers to be DONE first week of June???!!!!!!!! I'm sooooo pissed!! Danielle hangs up on me.

I call back. I get "Sean or Shawn" on the phone at Credit Protection Plus. Right away I ask to speak with his supervisor. He says" hold on". He gets back on the phone and says. "Shes not here. I think she left for the day". I say I don't beleive you and he says.. "we dont need a supervisor or someone looking over our shoulders to do our job" Who says that to a customer????????????

What is wrong with people?? So I'm left up in ther air as of now and my understanding is my account was charged off and sent to collections!


Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Anonymous said…
They did the same thing to us--after one year of fighting it--We still have to pay the $200 per month credit plan but FINALLY we threatened court action and supposedly the credit protection is being removed (but only for the current month and months ahead)

Sadly, I also found credit protection added to several other credit cards including Shell, Citibank, etc. For those of us who have automatic deductions from our checking--beware and watch each and every statement closely. You dont even have to pick up the phone and talk to them and it will be added!
Anonymous said…
So, you have unrolled right now? Did you double check?

Popular Posts