Garden Of Eden: A Shit Breakfast.

Sorry people... I know I have had riotous potty mouth this week. But sometimes, a swear is the only way to truly describe something.

I forced myself out of bed this morning at about 7:30. I didn't want to sleep in too late because I didn't want to have problems sleeping in the evening. So, I got up, puttered around on the computer, then got ready and went to breakfast at about 9am. I had originally intended on going to the South End Buttery. But as I walked down Tremont, I saw the Garden of Eden across the street. Hmm...

"I haven't been there in a very long time," I said. "And it has a European feel to it. I should go there."

I dashed across the street and went in to the mostly dead restaurant. I sat down at a cafe table, and a waitress brought over the menu.

"You can only order from this side of the menu," she informed me. "And we don't have sausage and don't offer salmon anymore."

No worries there. I rarely eat sausage and detest salmon.

"I'll have a cappuccino to start," I requested.

"Sorry," she said. "We only do coffee now. No espresso drinks."

I didn't question her, but my internal dialogue expressed outrage...

"How ridiculous! How can they NOT offer espresso drinks? Isn't this supposed to be reminiscent of a European cafe?"

I looked over at the display cases to figure out what I wanted to eat... Normally, the case is full of desserts and pastries for breakfast. In there today though were two thing... Some kind of pastry and scones. I wanted a croissant or a selection of breads. Damn.

I ended up going with a cafe au lait and a breakfast eggs plate. What I got was various forms of shit.

First, the cafe au lait was served in a tall, footed glass mug. That is not how they used to serve it there. It is supposed to come in a bowl-type mug. Further, the coffee-milk mixture tasted awful. It looked gray and tasted weak. And it cost me about $3.

Second, the breakfast plate consisted of greasy eggs, burnt bacon and under-cooked potatoes. What's more, this shit plate cost me $12.50.

So for $15, I got a really grody breakfast. The waitress was kind, and obviously working the entire restaurant by herself. So I did leave a 20% tip. But I won't be going back to Garden of Eden again.

It seems like maybe the rising cost of supplies and food may be one of the reasons they are cutting back... I mean, I have noticed that they are no longer open for dinner in the evenings. Which is a shame, because I would go there for a dessert from the case and an espresso. Not anymore though.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Garden of Eden has all kinds of tax trouble. If I remember, they claimed in the SE News that "one register was not properly converted when they change d the format on one side from grocery to restaurant. Years later, the un-collected meals-tax from that register is something like $185k. I can only guess they are reeling from that. Bummer.
Me said…
Ohmigosh! What a bummer! Now I feel bad for the post... But that could explain the oddities that are going on there. They didn't seem to have enough staff... And how can they not serve espresso drinks anymore? Maybe they had to sell off their super-cool espresso machine?

Ugh...

It was such a great place too.
Anonymous said…
Well Missus you oughtn't feel bad.

a) what they are claiming about the tax thing is pretty much impossible to do, unless you're doing it on purpose (I formerly owned a retail store). The accounts just do not add up right when you reconcile at night or monthly or whenever.

b) If your business is in trouble, it's probably not a good strategy to make changes that cause people to order less food and never come back.

This seems to be the trend in the South End. The berkely Perk used to be a favorite of mine. But they won't even over-order a half dozen bagels, so they are out of just about anything but sandwiches by 11am... and yesterday at 11, they were almost out of bread. How can a restaurant that sells $1 worth of ingredients for $6, afford to run out of bread every day for weeks?

Oh, and my favorite: "Sorry, we are OUT OF DECAF".
Again, a pot of coffee costs around $1 to brew and they sell one cup for $1.65 or so....

I know some good places for breakfast and baked stuff - they still exist. just not here.
Lyss said…
I don't think you're wrong. I had a meal that once that involved the server forgetting to bring food, etc. (see more here - http://www.yelp.com/biz/garden-of-eden-boston)
That Girl! said…
As a local and independent business owner, it pains me when I watch another local business struggle. Garden of Eden is one of those places that benefited from their amazing location and pleasant service. The food always failed to impress me b/c it always tasted freezer burned, but I'd continue to go back b/c it was local and right there on a great people watching corner.

I wondered if GoE was going through some "stuff" b/c both I and my fiancee saw the place closed right smack in the middle of the day, on two separate occasions. I feel badly for them but I have to unequivocally agree with your posting.
Me said…
I know exactly what you mean JT... GoE was a charming place to go. the food was never great, but it was good enough when combined with the atmosphere and ambiance...

And I too have noticed it closed in the middle of the day. It seems like they have cut back on staff and supplies.

I still can't get over the fact that you can't go in there and get a latte and a croissant. When I romanticize about wanting to be in a European cafe, GoE was a great place to do that.

What's happened to it?
Not really sure that GoE was ever explicitly going for the European cafe thing.
I've always thought their hook was the emphasis on organic and local ingredients.
In my opinion this makes their failings in the food department all the more ridiculous.
I once got a hamburger there and it was so undercooked that when I took my first bite I had the sensation I was eating raw meat flavored bubble gum. I have never gone back since.
If you want European style brunch try seating in the cafe area of Brasserie Jo. I think that place deserves more credit.
Jay Levitt said…
Wow... either I have been lucky, or I'm not nearly as picky as I thought I was. Every time I've been to GoE, I thought the food was great; in fact, it was my "go to" brunch restaurant for visiting out-of-town folks. The mac-n-cheese with bleu cheese, the big cups of hot chocolate, the quiche, these were always good. Or so I thought.

But yeah - you can't run a cafe without espresso.

Popular Posts