"Bringing Home Birkin" Book Review.

I will confess this to you right now...

"I have no desire to ever own an Hermes Birkin bag."

In fact, if someone ever tried to give me a Birkin bag, I would probably decline it. Birkins and The Missus just don't mix. Why?

"They're not practical!"

Seriously, I find the Birkin to be one of the most impractical bags. They're too large. They can only be carried in your hand or over your fore-arm (so, no slinging it over your shoulder). Sure, you can carry lots of stuff in it, but it is just too awkward to carry.

(However, if anyone ever wanted to get me a Kelly bag or a Ulysses notebook, I would happily accept those.)

But, even though I never care to own one, I certainly can appreciate other people's cravings for them. And if someone wanted one badly enough, and they had the cash, I would encourage them to buy one... I mean, if you're gonna actually use it, I think it's totally worth it.

And it's this "Birkin compassion" I have that led me to pick up the book, Bringing Home Birkin: My Life in Hot Pursuit of the World's Most Coveted Handbag."



Written by Michael Tonello, a Massachusetts Native, the book provides a look into the world of professional Birkin-purchasing. Tonello would buy Birkins in Europe, Asia and South America... And then turn around and sell them either on eBay or to private clients. He provides plenty of detailed Hermes product knowledge in the book... And, Tonello even bunks the "two-year waiting list" theory and explains how he was able to buy hundreds of Birkin bags each year, without ever having to be put on any wait list.

It was an exciting book to read, and it was all the more delightful knowing that the story was based on fact. It was all about some one's real experiences making a career from buying Birkins.

I'd like to make a career out of drinking coffee all day. Wait, make that "drinking coffee and going shopping" all day.

That would be fun.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'd like to make a career out of drinking coffee all day. Wait, make that "drinking coffee and going shopping" all day.

No you wouldn't! You tried that it didn't work, remember?
Me said…
Oh yeah! I forgot about that!

Man, that three month period was so long ago. In about two months, I will have worked at my current company LONGER than I worked at iProspect (18 months) OR Carat (17 months).
Vanessa said…
Jen Lancaster was talking about this book and bag at her signing here in Dallas this past week. I have never learned so much about a bag in one week!

Popular Posts