The Best Hairspray.

I'll admit it... I was 12 years old in 1989, and I used to style my hair "big."

You know...


(Disclaimer: This is NOT a picture of me. It's a picture I found in Image Search. All pictures of me with big hair were burned around 1992.)

Tall bangs, teased, and hair sprayed till completely immobile... Even in the fiercest of wind.

My weapons of choice to achieve this height with my bangs was a hard-edged brush from the local drugstore (it was awful on hair), and Aussie hairspray. (I liked the smell.)

By the time I was 14 though, I had started high school and kissed the big hair "good-bye." It was the early 90s, and smooth-straight locks (a la Kelly Taylor, 90210) were all the rage. So I no longer needed hair spray.

I didn't pick up another bottle of hairspray until about a year and a half ago. I decided to get some fancy stuff while at a salon, after a haircut. I like to curl my hair with big hot rollers sometimes. And when I do, my technique for styling my hair includes pulling the rollers out and immediately spraying the curls from a foot away.

The hair spray does a solid job of keeping the curl. But my hair ends up stiff, crunching, and "hard-looking." And that's not cool. It's not sexy. And it's not feminine.

However, while in London last week, I found a hairspray that would save me from giving up on my big sexy curls.

I had heard a lot about this particular hairspray from various beauty books. Everyone seemed to love it. They all said the same thing, "It keeps your hair in place without making it hard. It stays soft."

So while at one of the Boots stores in London, I picked up two bottles of the best hairspray in the world, L'Oreal Elnett.




... And I soon discovered why it is raved about by beauty addicts.

Unfortunately though, this hairspray is not available in the United States. Various theories are out there on the Internet, attempting to explain why it is not sold here. Everything from "it causes birth defects" to "it has a chemical that causes cancer" to "it is bad for the ozone layer."

True, it's not a "green" product. But there are many American-produced products that are not "green." And if it truly caused cancer or birth defects to any great degree, it would be written about to extensive degrees in various magazines and message boards online. So most of the "scariness" around the product is likely "bunk." So there's no obvious explanation as to why it's not sold here. (Does anyone know the official answer, by the way?)

Anyhow... It's a great product that truly works. But since it isn't available here in the U.S., the only way to get is to fly to the United Kingdom or buy it online. And it costs about $23 a bottle if you buy it online here in the U.S.

So it's safe for you to assume that I won't be using this stuff long term. I don't plan on going back to the U.K. anytime soon. I highly recommend picking up a bottle or dozen when you are in London next time though.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I just bought a travel-sized "Umberto" brand hairspray at Target that completely rocks. Way cheaper than the Bedhead I usually use, gives great hold, but still soft. NAYY, but I was really surprised.
Anonymous said…
Sweet bangs. I totally would have asked you out, for sure! Duran Duran, Depechmode, or The Cure?
Anonymous said…
Just saw L'Oreal Elnett on the shelf at Target! I 'll have to give it a try. I believe it was $13.99 a can.
Me said…
It's TOTALLY worth a try!

Popular Posts