Flying to Melbourne.

So yeah... I have written before about how I am spending next New Year's in Australia. My brother-in-law is marrying a nice Australian girl there. Currently, they live in Toronto... He a corporate lawyer with an emphasis on aboriginal law, and she a playwright.

In a few years, they will be moving to Melbourne to live out the rest of their lives in a house her parents have bought for them. Though, to be honest, she may not live to see her wedding day... As I am about ready to do some major violence.

(Kidding, of course. I've never even met the girl.)

Anyhoo... They are getting married next January 2nd at a winery just outside of Melbourne. Which is lovely and all... But do you people know what a bitch it is to get that part of the freaking world????

Add on top of that the fact that I have go and visit my mother-in-law in that part of the country???

Anyhoo... the most unpleasant thing about the trip will (hopefully) be the flight there and back. Now, I am a great flier. Other than sometimes having to pee a lot, I pretty much just sit there and sleep or watch movies. I don't complain. I don't invade people's space. I don't eat smelly food or wear heavy perfume while in flight. I shower before getting on the plane.

But The Husband?

He is a shit-tastic traveler. I can kinda understand it though. He's nearly 6'5" tall. The 33 inches of seat pitch you get in economy class really bites for him. And he can't sleep on planes. And if a child decides to cry through part of the flight... OHMIGOD... He gets antsy. (And he's the one who wants children!)

So, I was online tonight, attempting to do some research on ticket prices to next holiday season... And I learned that we would be losing a whole two days by flying there. I knew we would lose one... But I wasn't aware that we were losing two!

Check it out...



See? We could fly out on the 25th (in the morning) and we wouldn't arrive till the morning of the 27th in Melbourne.

WTF?

Me no likey.

I could kill the future sister-in-law for insisting we go there for the wedding. (I won't ever be going back after the wedding.)

Though, I shouldn't be too hard on the girl... Last December she left Toronto on the day before her birthday, only to arrive in Melbourne the day AFTER her birthday. So she missed it completely.

Heh-heh.

Comments

Frogger said…
Just a thought from your favorite travel writer...
Why don't you leave xmas eve, fly to San Fran and enjoy a night there before getting back on a flight xmas morning to Australia. That will break up the time you and The Husband have to sit on the plane AND you won't miss any additional days AND it will only cost you an additional hotel night.
Me said…
Hmm... That's a possibility... Yes.
Anonymous said…
Your point about her birthday is noted, but missing a birthday is a lot easier than missing Christmas. Be pissed. It's ok.

Popular Posts