31-Inch Inseam.

I learned something new this weekend...

I am merely "short," and not "petite."

While out at Jean Therapy, getting my new jeans fitted to be hemmed, I was told that I had a 31-inch inseam. But being 5'4" tall, that is a longer inseam than usual. Usually it's around 29 to 30 inches for people of this height.

"I guess this solves the reason why I have such a hard time with Standing-Head-to-Knee pose in yoga," I decided. "My legs are long, and my torso/arms is short."

(Yeah! That's it! It couldn't be because I am not ready to kick out yet! It's because my body is deformed!)

If I had wanted to wear my new jeans with heels, I wouldn't have had them hemmed at all... For they would have fit well with all my heels. But since all I wear are flats, it was safest to hem with those in mind.

Three cheers for chicks with long(er than usual) legs! Chicks who are oddly shaped!

Comments

thedancingj said…
Dude, long legs are great! But I HAVE noticed that a lot of the great Bikram yogis have really short legs proportionately. Unfair advantage!! LOL It's totally opposite from dance. In ballet, the pros are all legs. In Bikram, they are all spine. :)

"Antaomy is destiny" - I don't know who said that first, but it's a good point.
Me said…
LOL!

You know what's funny? I have always been a natural dancer, even though I have never taken adance class in my life. When I was a cheerleader, I picked up routines much more easily and precisely than others who had been studying dance for years.

But Bikram? Any pose where I have to bend forward and touch my head to my toes or knee? Ugh! It's very difficult for me to do. I hit my thigh, not my knees.
Me said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said…
Lol, knowing your typical inseam is a great thing when it comes to getting all pants/skirts tailored. I like "What Not to Wear" for not only pushing Raven jeans on ladies, but for asserting that tailoring is a worth while endeavor.
That Girl! said…
PS...last comment on tailoring and Raven jeans was me!!
:)
Anonymous said…
My inseam is 31 too! You are not the only one that is deformed!
Me said…
Red, it must be our jeans... Er, I mean "genes."
bek2134944 said…
Ha! I am winning the race. I am 5'3 and my inseam is 31! It's cool because all I wear are flats as well. Which pretty much divides my body into THIRDS....This is apparently a GREAT thing in Tim Gunn's eyes because he's always howling about it on "Tim Gunn's Guide To Style" when they're standing in front of their lifesize image on the OptiTex screen. However, I hate the way I look in heels because the THIRDS becomes almost FOURTHS and then my torso looks very short =(
Anonymous said…
Revolved head to knee pose is my favorite. It really helps with my scoliosis. I found Leeann Carey has a great free yoga video on modifications for this pose. I thought your readers might want to check it out: http://planetyoga.com/yoga-blogs/index.php/free-yoga-video-revolved-head-to-knee-pose/

Popular Posts