Bikram Yoga: Am I Supposed To Black Out In Class?

No, no, no... Don't worry, people... I didn't pass out. But, I kept finding myself consciously blacking out in class.

The class would be between postures, preparing to move on to the next one... And I would suddenly think to myself, "I can't remember just doing Standing Bow pose! Did I do it? Or did I just stand there?"

And then it would happen again, on the floor, after Cobra pose... And Floor Bow pose... And Half Tortoise...

I think part of the issue may be my exhaustion as of late. I have been so tired this week. And no matter how much sleep I seem to get, it's never enough. (It could be all the extreme emotions I am having lately... Those can take a toll on your body too.) So today, I woke up late, and only had 15 minutes to get from my apartment to the studio in Copley Square. I barely made it in time before the teacher locked the door and went to in to teach.

Yet, despite rushing (which I thought would have woken me up with a shot of adrenaline), I still was exhausted.

I think I did the postures though. I am sure the teacher would have said something to me if I hadn't.

Oh God! What if she DID say something to me, and I was too out of it that I don't remember responding to her?!?

Wow... And I haven't had a glass of wine since Tuesday. I bet people in class (if they noticed me) though I was hungover.

Well, if they did... Then they probably think more better of me, for getting into class while hungover, and putting in 90 minutes of practice.

Comments

Unknown said…
I believe that's a 'brown' out, not a 'black' out!
thedancingj said…
Yea. I've done that. It happens. I think it means that you need more rest!!

J :)
Anonymous said…
it is possible you have done so much of the same bikram yoga class so many times lately that your classes are starting to "blur" into one another. you need a little change. maybe another sequence to break the auto pilot? ana forrest style yoga is awesome and practiced in a warm room yoga. (there are some awesome forrest yoga in boston) it is doubtful you'll lose awareness in one of those classes.

also, i think if you are not meditating you need to start sitting for a little while every day. if you are doing TONS of yoga and not meditating it is possible you are going into a spontaneous meditative state while practicing. (not the best situation) it could be the Self's way of saying... "hey you! i'm in here!"
Anonymous said…
I've found that these "brown outs" happen to me when I'm not well hydrated. My practice has become much more calm and less strenuous by drinking a liter bottle of water with Emergency 90-120 minutes before class.

Good luck!

Popular Posts