Only 12 Stamps...

I've had my passport for over six years now...



I only have another four years before I have to get it renewed. But as of today, I only have 12 stamps in it.



Now, before you get all "Why are you disappointed with only 12 stamps! That's more than most people!"... Please let me explain.

Or rather... Allow me to breakout the countries I have visited...
  • Canada: 3 (stamps)
  • Turks & Caicos: 3 (stamps)
  • London: 2 (stamps)
  • Baja (Mexico): 1 (stamp)
  • Rome: 2 (stamps)
  • Paris: 1 (stamp)
Funny enough, both London stamps were for business trips, not vacations. The T & C stamps were total vacations. (Again, this is the best place to vacation with small children.) Baja was for J & E's wedding in April. Paris and one of the Rome trips was for the "perpetual honeymoon" The husband and I take each year. (We've been to Rome, Paris, and the Turks & Caicos twice for perpetual honeymoons.) And then the other Rome trip was with Frogger this past June, when the writing workshop in Tuscany was cancelled and we found ourselves with two tickets on Alitalia Airlines that were non-refundable.

And then there's Canada.

The number of passport stamps is very misleading. I have been to Canada way more than three times in the past six years. I would put it at about 12 times, at least, in the past six years. It's just that when we fly to visit The Husband's parents in Canadian wine country, we fly to Buffalo, and then cross the border by car. In which case, they don't stamp your passport. So a bit of my stamps have been for really "non-vacation" purposes. Almost half of them, in fact.

So clearly, I have four years to get another 13 stamps, before the passport expires. That's my goal people. I wasnt a total of 25 country stamps in my passport when it expires in July 2012. I will be adding another stamp in December for the brother-in-law's wedding in Australia (which The Husband and I are counting as our "perpetual honeymoon" for this year.) But beyond that, I intend to knock a few more trips out of the way in the next three and a half years.

Where else would I like to go? Let's see...
  1. Costa Rica
  2. Mexico (again - maybe somewhere other than Cabo though)
  3. Turks & Caicos (we've found our special place... so we will probably go there at least three more times before the passport expires)
  4. Ireland (I'm a Mexican-Irish girl... I should visit the other motherland.)
  5. Iceland (It's the land of Fire and Ice!)
  6. Argentina (Kate has me thinking...)
  7. Rome (Eek! I know... I've been there twice already. But I love it!)
  8. Berlin (I spent a few years of my childhood living in Western Germany. I should really explore the other part of the country.)
  9. Spain (Vicky Cristina Barcelona has inspired me.)
  10. Greece (I originally wanted to go for my honeymoon. The Husband didn't want to go in the Summertime.)
Anyone else have any other places they think I should visit? I want my passport to really show that I am a traveler.

Comments

Bex said…
I have had my passport since 2001, but only have stamps from China and the Bahamas -- when I went to Italy THEY DIDN'T STAMP MY PASSPORT! I was so mad!

My list looks a lot like yours, except I also have Paris and London (where you have already been) and then a few Asian Pacific places like Bali and Thailand...
BFW (Tammy) said…
If you are going to go back to Italy... you MUST got to Cinque Terre. That is where I honeymooned and I think you would really love it. Stay in Monterosso and hike to the other 4 towns. AMAZING!!!

I've hard that Budapest is great and also you should get to Amsterdam at least once.

My top choices (if given an unlimited amount of cash) would be Thailand, India, Indonesia, Cambodia and some other South East Asisan countries.
It would be an amazing challenge to hit every continent before your passport expires. Well, maybe except Antarctica.

You've got each one on your list except Asia and Africa, and you could easily cover Africa by jetting to Morocco from Spain (Or from Greece to Cairo, but that would be a much bigger trip).
Me said…
Oh! Great idea LB! So maybe I need to amend my plan...

Get 20 stamps and visit all the continents, except Antarctica, before the passport expires.
Vanessa said…
Sweeden! Or as they might say Sveee-den!
Do I have suggestions? How much time do you have?! :-)

I bet you'd love Prague and Budapest. Those were two of my faves. You could pair those with Vienna for a perfect trip.

And if you ever go back to Italy, I'll hook you up with the best places in Florence.

For next spring/summer/early fall, I want to do a two-week trip to Europe, and the top contenders are the Balkans (Slovenia/Croatia/Bosnia/Montenegro/Serbia), Greece (Athens/Peloponnese/Cyclades/Crete), southern Italy (more Amalfi coast, visiting my family's hometown in Sicily, and Matera is a city I am dying to visit!)

Popular Posts