Starbucks Gold Card: Worth It?

My answer to that question would be, "Hiz-ell yes!"

A few weeks back, I received a Starbucks Gold Card out of the blue in my mailbox.



I already had a regular Starbucks Card with money on it, and it was registered on their website so that I could take advantage of the free WiFi at the stores. So I was curious as to why I would need a new card. Especially one that had a $25 annual fee attached to it.

After reading, I discovered it was a lot like my Barnes and Noble membership card. I pay $25 a year, and I get 10% off of every purchase I make.

Now, of course it makes sense to pay for the membership at Barnes and Noble, as I buy a lot of books and a TON of magazines. So I make back the $25 in savings pretty quickly... And then a ton more. But I had to ask myself...

"Do I make enough purchases from Starbucks to warrant spending $25 to get 10% off every purchase?"

So I did the math...
  • I visit Starbucks at LEAST five times a week.
  • I spend, on average, $4.25 each time I go there.
So:
  • $4.25 multiplied by 5 equals $21.25
  • $21.25 multiplied by 52 (weeks) equals $1,105
  • 10% of $1,105 is $110.05
  • $110.05 minus the $25 card fee is $85.05
So my savings, by using the card, is $85.05 a year AT LEAST.

So for me, it is totally worth it the investment in the card. Plus, I get free soy milk when I use the card, rather then having to pay the extra fee to have my drink made with it. So there is an additional savings right there.

Bottom line: If you go every day to Starbucks, it likely is worth the investment in the membership card.


Plus, it's a pretty cool-looking card.

Comments

Bex said…
Have I told you lately that you are my hero?

Thanks for this :)
Anonymous said…
Do you get free soy milk? When I use it, I just get the 10% off the total. No free soy milk.
Me said…
If you have your card registered, they're supposed to give you free soy milk.
Anonymous said…
OK, I just called the customer service line for Starbucks and was told that you cannot combine the free soy milk (a discount from the regular Starbucks card) with the 10% off (from the Gold Card). Did you actually get both discounts and if so, which store because I'm going there!
Me said…
LOL! Yup. I just got free soy in my latte less than an hour ago, and I got 10% off. How funny.

It does say in the terms and conditions for the card that you can't combine the 10% discount with other offers... But I guess the Starbucks on School Street in Downtown Crossing doesn't obey that rule.
See i had this same problem. According to the internet you can only get the 10%. My soy latte is 3.83 when I use my personal cup so if I use the gold I save 38 cents and with the regular card I save 40, without any fee up front. Not a big diff, but if I want to add in syrup then it is free too with the registered card. So end the end this is a much bigger save. However, the gold card does seem so much cooler. Therein lies my dilemma.
Me said…
You're so good... Bringing your own cup. I never bring my own.
You totally should. I now view it as another accessory. Plus my super green hubby loves it. I got the cup that is clear and you can put whatever pictures you want and switch them out. i of course have a cup filled with pic of my little one (i know I'm obsessed.) The Starbucks team members always think it's so cute they only charge me for a tall. Plus you save 10 cents so it totally justifies those twice a day coffee runs.
Anonymous said…
They won't let me use my gold card at Barnes and Noble locations. did this happen to anyone else?
Me said…
That's because Barnes & Nobles' cafes aren't really Starbucks. They sell the coffee and pay a fee to be able to sell Starbucks' drinks...They don't take Starbucks cards there at all.
Anonymous said…
Keep in mind the "discount" on the sales tax too... in Chicago area, where tax is 9% to 10%, that's pretty good.

Popular Posts