How To Get Out Of A Depression.

I have quite a few people around me who are going through a bit of a funk lately.

I think it could be a combination of things that are bringing them down...
  • Family stuff.
  • The economy.
  • The election.
  • Things at work.
  • Relationship issues.
  • World politics.
  • Health issues.
And this is just with people I know. The list could probably go on and on if I thought about it some more.

So, while I don't exactly have any solid advice to give any of these people in their "blue" time... I thought I would list out the things that help ease me out of a funk. And I hope others will comment and add to the list...

My List:
I think whatever you can do to get yourself up and around the house and in action is helpful to easing out of a funk.

And if all else fails... As I learned today, "stressed" backwards spells "desserts." But I only encourage sweets in small doses. (A whole pint of Phish Food should be plenty small enough.)

Comments

Frogger said…
It sounds strange, but when I'm in a funk, I clean. It makes me feel when it's all done to look around the apartment and see absolute cleanliness. I guess it's cleansing, in a way... and there is probably something karmic about it, but after it's all done, I burn some lavender and enjoy the 'fresh air.'

Also, I bought Phish Food this weekend, and was overjoyed to learn that Ben & Jerry's made a low-fat version.
Vanessa said…
It's like you were reading my mind! I was actually going to post my own list today about feeling emo. Things on my list include take a hot bath with candles, pedicure and waking up fifteen minutes early to snuggle with the kidlets and really be present to let the energy of those minutes sink in fully. Thanks for the additional ideas!
Me said…
Yeah... It seems like there's a lot to be depressed about lately. But in reality, you have to stop and think to what degree the external factors are actually legitimately affecting your everyday lives.

You have to ask yourself, "Does this affect me in a tangible way? Or am I getting upset over something that really doesn't affect me, except emotionally?"

I don't deny emotions... But I try to evaluate how much genuine concern I need to have.

And of course, bubble baths always make me feel better. With bath salts too!
Frogger said…
I just logged on again for the afternoon and I noticed this is the headline on Boston.com:
"Depression 2009: What would it look like?"

No wonder people are in a funk!

As a journalist, I get that the media needs a 'catch' to keep readers, but as a reader, it's depressing...
I agree with Frogger -- I had a great day today that made me feel so much better, and much of today was devoted to scrubbing my kitchen.

Popular Posts