Packing: Always Take A Carry-On.

I had a busy day, which started early and didn't stop until just a little while ago.

I got up, dressed, grocery shopped, went to the bookstore, hit brunch with two fellow bloggers (Yummy Mummy and Legally Brunette), then found myself in a cab headed to Mass General... Right after brunch, as I was headed to go do some more shopping, my left ear canal closed up. (A side effect from the cold/flu.) So I needed someone at the walk-in clinic to clear it out for me.

Once I got to the hospital, the clinic was dead. There was only one other person there besides me. So my wait was only a few minutes... And while I was "waiting," I was able to get through one article in the most recent issue of Town and Country on how to pack everything you need for a five-day trip into a carry-on.

To me, that idea seems impossible. But yet, I was intrigued, as I would love to avoid checking a full-sized suitcase for my flight to Australia next month. But how do I get clothing and essentials for 10 days into a carry-on?

I am still skeptical that I would be able to do it, but here is what the author of the article wrote that she packs in her carry-on:
  • Three pairs of pants.
  • Five pairs of underwear.
  • Three cashmere cardigans.
  • Three tops.
  • Two pairs of shoes (one dressy, one casual).
  • Two scarves.
  • Minimal jewelry, in a small bag.
  • Two blazers.
  • Two skirts.
  • One dress.
  • Gym clothes.

Here is what goes in her tote bag:
  • Laptop.
  • iPod.
  • Pashmina.
  • Make-up.
  • Toiletries bag. (Following the 3-1-1 rule.)
  • Hair brush.
  • Books/magazines.
  • Sunglasses.
Here is what she wears on the plane:
  • Flats.
  • Jeans or wrinkle-resistant pants.
  • Trench coat.
  • A top.
I was impressed that she could get everything she needed into her carry-on. But hell, if she can do it, so can I. Though, I have 10 days to get through and she only five. But I guess I could do laundry while I am there. It is a nice hotel we are staying at. So I am quite sure they will have laundry service.

Comments

Anonymous said…
The idea of packing lightly has always fascinated me.


missing items; bra(s), pajamas/nightgown?

Seems like that is a lot to fit in one carry-on; however, you could wear much more than listed.
:)

So, do you think you can do it on your next trip?!
~Tiann

Popular Posts