Overhead In Boston: Restraining Orders & Being Too Good For Him.

Within 24 hours, I have overheard some amusing conversations...

The first conversation was last night, at dinner. The Husband and I went to Douzo for our favorite Spicy Tuna rolls. There were two girls sitting next to us. For the first (I kid you not) 25 minutes, they sat there looking at their menus, trying to decide which rolls to order. From the way they were talking, I figured they were going to order a ton of stuff.

"Ohh! How about the Boston roll? And the Philadelphia roll? Oh yum! The Back Bay roll..."

Then, when the waitress came back to check on them, they insisted that the restaurant must serve a Spring roll that doesn't come fried.

"You know," prompted one girl, "It's in a white wrapper, that's very light."

"Yes," agreed the waitress. "But that's a Vietnamese style of Spring roll. The one we have here is Japanese, and fried."

"No," said insisted the girl. "It's not fried... I've had it at other Japanese restaurants. It's a light wrapper, not fried?"

"That's Vietnamese style," the waitress informed her again.

This went for about three minutes. Eventually the girls gave up and went back to their menus.

"Oh! how about the Back Bay roll! Or the Boston roll? Oh! The Philadelphia roll!"

At this point, my thought was, "Just fucking order something!" The Husband and I were sitting about a foot from their table - as the spacing between some tables at Douzo is very intimate. We had already ordered, gotten through our appetizer, and were waiting for our sushi to arrive.

When our food did arrive, the two girls were ready to place their order. They ordered three rolls, to share. I don't think any of the special rolls they were getting excited about were what they ordered.

The Husband and I figured that the conversation would die down while eating. We figured they would talk a little quieter. But nope, we were wrong.

The one who was insane about the Spring roll picked up her cell phone, as it rang a tune. It was her husband.

"I will call you when I am on my way back. That way, if I die, you'll know quicker, because you'll be expecting me home," she said into the phone.

Then, when she got off the phone, the conversation turned to one of their friends who is getting a divorce.

"She asked his lawyers to draw up papers, and apparently she signed away her right to the house without knowing. He said he was justified in doing that because he didn't know about all this debt that she was in from shopping."

The Husband and I were pretty entertained and shocked at this point. But then it got better, when they were talking about another one of their friends...

"And ohmygod, she had to get a restraining order..."

The other conversation I heard, which had me highly amused, was this morning. I was on my two-block walk back from Starbucks. Another woman came out of the bodega next to Starbucks with her cell phone at her ear.

"I've had enough of you! You have been up on other girls, holding them and hanging on them. I am tired of supporting your tired self. You're dead weight! You have to leave me alone. I deserve better. I can have any man I want. I am through with you. I am too good for you."

She walked about 30 feet behind me for the two blocks, and I heard every word she said. I think anyone on the street would have heard what she was saying.

My only thought while overhearing her end of the conversation was, "You go girl!"

Comments

Popular Posts