"I Don't Do (Generic) Drugs!"

Having a bit of a "diva" moment here...

I have asked my doctor to put me on a specific drug. However, I was unaware that in the state of Massachusetts the pharmacy will automatically fill your prescription with the generic version, and not the brand name version.

I have no idea why they do this... But when I called the pharmacy to get the prescription refilled with the brand name (telling them, "I do not care if it costs more.") they cited the law as the reason for doing it this way.

"You will have to have your doctor rewrite the prescription out with a note saying 'No generic substitutions' on it," they explained. "By law, we have to fill the prescription this way."

Most of the time I could care less if they give me generics. But with this particular type of drug, I have to insist on getting the brand-name. I DO NOT TRUST GENERICS WHEN IT COMES TO THIS TYPE OF DRUG.

When you're messing with hormones, I want whatever has all the marketing and research dollars behind it. I don't want the generic. No thanks.

Comments

Vanessa said…
Agreed! With generics there can be small differences in the drug as well as the coatings used in manufacturing, which can cause allergic reactions. I have actually had this experience and was lucky enough to have a doctor who knew the potential problems these small differences can make.
Me said…
I asked my doctor to put me on Ortho Tri-Cyclen... the pharmacy filled it with Tri-SPrintec.. And researching online, I found that people only had awful things to say about it.

Popular Posts