Temporary Tattoos.

Let me set the scene for you...

It was April of 1994. I had been asked to go to the Junior Prom by a gentleman named, "Jeb" (which was an acronym for his real name. And, no, he wasn't related to the Bush family.) I had carefully selected out a long, black velvet halter-top gown. I paired it with funk black suede pumps and opera-length black velvet gloves. My hair was up and pulled back off my face. The earrings were rhinestone studs.

It may not sound very elegant, but for a 17-year old, it was.

However, despite being so elegant, I felt I needed to "spunk" up the outfit. I was a "classy" gal, but I had (and still do have) a hidden appreciation for the bohemian fare. So I decided to add a gorgeous butterfly (temporary) tattoo to my outside right ankle. It peeked out beneath my gown, just above where my pumps started.

Later that night, a few of us went over to Jeb's house to hang out by the jacuzzi after the prom. That's where my tattoo slid right off from the chlorine.

I love tattoos. I only have one. (And really want a second one.) But the time and expense, not to mention permanence, they carry do make me apprehensive to do it again. Which is why I do love temporary tattoos. And apparently, I'm not the only one...

According to this article in the NY Times Style Section, temporary tattoos are all the rage now when it comes to accessorizing an outfit. (Who knew I was so ahead of the times?)

I really see tattoos as an accessory, if they are visible. They really can add to the overall effect of your appearance.

So, I'm a big fan of them. What about you?

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm a fan of tattoos, having 5 myself. I think it's better for most people to toy with temporary ones. It seems a lot of people impulsively select perm tattoos on a whim thinking, "yeah, I'll like this 30 years from now."

It's hard knowing what I'm going to like in 30 years, but silly me went and got 5! Would I use temp. ones? Probably not. I've never been very good with those. I seem to apply half perfectly, but the other half is already peeling off.

For the committment-phobes, I think it's a great idea.
ActionBobMarkle said…
temp tats aren't the real deal...just one more way the glitterati wants to dabble...(i have one and it's the real deal)...
Me said…
What's your tattoo of, Action Bob Markle?
Anonymous said…
I'm still trying to imagine The Missus I know dating a dude named Jeb...
Anonymous said…
well, my first one, when i was 19, was a bit of an impulse ink...a small tribal-looking butterfly on my hip.

my second one, when i was 24, was MUCH more thought out and researched...a phoenix symbol on my lower back.

i desperately want another tattoo, and being that i am 28, i am about due for my "once every five years" tattoo...and this time i might go for color (my other two are black only)...we'll see!

as for temporary tattoos? my theory is all or nothing -- not a fan of the temporary ones myself.
Me said…
JEB was an acronym for "John Edward Brigham."

No, he wasn't Mormon either. These were all family names.

I'm actually Facebook Friends with him now.

Popular Posts