Gaslight - Not For Dinner.

I hate to disappoint those of you who are out there that LOVE Gaslight... But I do NOT recommend going to Gaslight (at 560 Harrison in the South End) for dinner. It's simply not worth the money.

This was the second time I had tried Gaslight since it opened late last Summer. My initial review of the place left me feeling disappointed. And review for tonight it quite the same.

The service was excellent. No complaints there. However, the food was not so excellent... Well, some of it was not. And it was not worth it's cost.

It's a shame too, as I was quite excited when I sat down. The Husband ordered a beer and I ordered a glass of wine. That part was excellent. Then came the appetizers.

Now, I am the type of person who will peruse a menu online before trying out a restaurant. I'll look the restaurant up online, and if they have their menu posted I think, "Great! A legitimate business! They want to give their patrons as much information as possible before they sit down!" I thought this of Gaslight... However...

When we got there, the dinner menu was different than what was posted online. The starter I had wanted was not on the menu placed before me. So I adapted, and chose a cheese and sausage thing with bread. It was tasty.

The Husband's starter, though, was NOT.

He ordered the onion soup to start. But when it was brought to him, it was still boiling. As though it had just been boiling on the stove and NOT simmering (as you should do with all soups for at least 10 minutes before eat them... otherwise they are too hot.) The Husband couldn't even tuck into one of the croutons floating on top of the soup because THEY were too hot. Once we were able to give the soup a try, it tasted as though it was quite heavy on the Cognac (which you usually put in onion soup.)

Then came dinner... And "ugh."

I decided to go with the rotisserie chicken. The Husband chose the pasta with short ribs ragout. His was tasty, but heavy on the salt. My chicken though... It was NOT rotisserie! Not proper rotisserie, anyway.

Most often, rotisserie-cooked meat is juicy. It's juicy because the meat is rotated, which allows it to cook evenly on all sides, thereby allowing it's inner juices to distribute evenly all throughout it.

The chicken I got was the driest chicken I've ever had in my life.

It was as though the chicken had been cooked in the oven, then thrown under a salamander or broiler at the last second to give it its golden hue... Which it did not have much of, by the way. The skin was not "crackly" like it is with rotisserie... In fact, the skin on this chicken was the same consistency of chicken skin that is baked.

The herb frites that came with the chicken were yummy though. But I barely touched them. This was one of the few times this week I have eaten meat, and I was saving myself for it.

I couldn't take the possibility of dessert. I didn't want to risk my opinion of the place from brunch today. Though, I did spot on the Dessert Wine menu that they had Inniskillin Icewine. But it was over $17 a glass. I can get a bottle of it in Niagara-On-The-Lake (where Inniskillin is) for about $25.

So, bottom line: Gaslight is not a good place for dinner. However, I ABSOLUTELY recommend it for brunch AND for cocktails. The bar area there is fantastic.

Just don't do dinner there.

Comments

Rhea said…
I live in Boston and read Chowhound regularly. Gaslight looked to a good choice, but your review makes me think twice.
Me said…
I say give it a go at Brunchtime... The brunch menu looked good and was priced well. My brunch choices were very yummy.
b.kiddo said…
try brunch, mine was yummy and i am picky. but who does shitty crepes? yum-mah

Popular Posts