Summer In Melbourne...

... Is actually Winter in Boston.

I will be spending a few days next Summer - known as Winter to those of us in this hemisphere - in Melbourne.

Why?

Well my brother-in-law, a liberal Canadian lawyer highly interested in human rights, will be getting married there next January 2nd. The girl he is marrying is from Melbourne. And even though they currently reside in Toronto (he a lawyer, she a talented playwright), they have decided to get married back in the land "down-under."

I have always wanted to go to Australia, mostly for the following reasons:
  • I want to see if the toilets there really do flush differently than they do in the top hemisphere.
  • The food on International flights usually kicks ass... And I love flying. (Crazy, I know. But when you're taught at a "toddler" age to think of flying as a huge adventure, it kinda sticks with you.)
  • I want to see if I can spot anyone actually drinking a can of Foster's.
  • It looks really beautiful in photos.
  • Their accents are easier for me to understand than British accents.
So I am looking forward to going away for New Year's next year. Normally we go away for American Thanksgiving and Christmas. Next year, we will only be going away for American Thanksgiving. (Though I will probably be looking to take a vacation by myself somewhere in Europe next Fall.)

I can't wait!

Comments

Dan said…
I used to love Fosters. When you're young and impressionable, who can't resist drinking beer from an oil can?
Vanessa said…
Melbourne is beautiful! I got the most incredible blue lace agate pendant for a necklace while I was there, along with amazing photos and memories.
My college roommate spent a semester in Melbourne and loved it. She says that nobody drinks Fosters. ;-)

I've read a lot about the city, and it's supposed to be one of the best dining cities in the world -- the restaurants are so diverse and varied and incredible.

And what about the kangaroos and koalas??

Popular Posts