"It's Your Fault, Dear."

He says it with such sincerity. I know I contribute a lot. And I imagine bad things will happen now that I've stopped contributing.

Businesses will lose money and have to close. Parents will go home to their families with less money for food to put on the table. No one will be able to pay for heating oil this winter. The sky will turn dark, and the weather will swallow us into a bitter cold hole that we won't be able to crawl out of... (Even worse than the one we are in now.) Puppies will die. The Republicans will win the presidential election. The country will enter a recession.

Well, maybe a few of those won't happen... Perhaps I am exaggerating. But the country is headed for a recession (and quick!), and The Husband blames yours truly.

Why?

Well, it's because of my pledge to not buy any new clothes, bags and shoes in the month of January. Normally, retailers can pretty much count me to do my little part with my disposable income to help them stay in the black. But since I am not spending (and apparently, no one else is either), retailers are falling to crap right now.

"Yeah," said The Husband, "We're pretty much in a recession - or very close to one - and I blame you."

Ouch.

But just so's you know, he also blames me for the following:
  • The Canadian dollar getting stronger while the U.S. dollar got weaker.
  • The popularity of "The Hills" and "Laguna Beach" skyrocketing and giving Hollywood "careers" to it's stars.
  • His affection and interest in "The Gilmore Girls."
  • The Kennedy Assassinations. (Yes, "assassinations." With an "s"... I took them both down, despite not having even been a glimmer in my parents' eyes. Seeing as they were like in their preteens when they both happened.)
  • Unnecessarily throwing out his old George Foreman grill. (Though, I feel I was quite justified. If something smokes just when you plug it in, you "got problems.")
... So, I don't really put much stock in what he says.

I did not cause this recession. (But you can bet like hell that if I have the resources, I will make out like a bandit when prices come down on some consumer goods because people aren't spending like it's 1999!)

Comments

Anonymous said…
I can understand the appreciation for "The Gilmore Girls." The writing is witty and clever. I can't believe Lauren Graham played a bar slut in "Bad Santa."
Me said…
Same here! I agree!

Popular Posts