Project Runway: Prom Nightmare!

When did teen girls get so trashy with their prom dresses?

When I went to prom (Sophmore, Junion and Senior years), I always wore a classy dress. I would never have dared to bare cleavage. That would have been deemed "trashy" in the early to mid-90s. And nothing was ever too short. Or too long. And I always wore black.

But the girls in tonight's Project Runway episode... Some of them just ain't got no taste! Those designers REALLY had to reign it in!

And I LOVED that Nina Garcia told Christian's model that her taste was "tacky!" Well, she said it, but not in so many words. She was careful about how she worded it in front of Maddie.

My favorite dress was definitely Victorya's.

So fun, so cool.

I can't believe Kevin got the boot. He's done some great stuff! And won one. Sure, his dress was so ugly. But come on... Ricky has never delivered.

(Why the FUCK did Ricky NOT get eliminated? I'm tired of that betch! His hats and his crying and he has to go!)

Here's my Fafarazzi team for next week. Victorya's back in it!

Comments

At first I was wary about Victorya's dress, especially when she pulled out those gems, but it looked beautiful when she put it all together. Very current, too, from the sparkles to the color to the silhouette. Short prom dresses are the new black.

Loved the platinum fabric Sweet P used, but it looked a little rough to me. Not around the edges -- it just looked not as polished as Rami's or Chris's.

My biggest caveat with the episode: Why on Earth was Chris's dress not in the top three?!?!?!
Me said…
I SO AGREE WITH YOU ON BOTH THINGS KATE!

I was so not into Victorya's dress when she was first putting it together. And the gemstones were NOT speaking to me when she first showed them to Tim. But the final look was fabulous!
Anonymous said…
Holy crap ... hey everyone ... come here, check this out. I found the 3 people on the internet that like Victorya's prom dress.

Speaking as a straight male who was prom king in '01, if my prom date wore that sad sack it would be all I could do to hide my repulsion. Seriously. I physically recoiled when she walked down the runway.
Tacky, akward, and little girl are the only words that come to mind.

Just a heads up ... straight guys don't like it when your clothing smashes down your boobs, make you look like you have no shape below the shoulders, and are bedazzled.

Now Sweet-P's or Chris' dress would leave me speechless with my jaw on the floor if my date wore them. Talk about sexy and classy.
Me said…
Victorya's dress was perfect for a prom. And the girl who wore it barely had boobs... SO to say that it "smashed them down" isn't accurate.

Sweet P.'s dress was WAAAY cute. But, it was BARELY APPROPRIATE for a 17-year-old to wear to the prom. IT was definitely sexy. And I could see older women pulling it off. But a teen? Almost not appropriate.

Chris's dress was fabulous too.
Anonymous said…
^[sarcasm]well clearly you have a solid line on what 17 and 18 year old guys in the last 2 decades would like to see their prom dates wear.[/sarcasm]

I can't think of a single guy I've ever known that would not be bothered to spend a night next to that craft-store disaster.

btw Victorya time and time again deemphasizes the breasts by flattening them and hiding the female form behind a shapeless bubble.
Me said…
Oh no.. I totally get that fellas want to see boobs... But there's fine line between "sexy appropriate" for a teenager and "sexy appropriate" for someone over 18.

Fashion is about many different styles. Victorya's style happens to be a little more modest. But what she did with the blue dress is what is very much in right now, for women of all ages. It's trashy to show cleavage and wear a short dress. Victorya chose to go with showing legs and keeping the top more modest. Sweet P chose to go with showing more cleavage and keeping the legs covered up. That's how it should be.

You can't show both at one. It looks odd.

Popular Posts