I Likes Me Coffee Too Much.

Someone sent me this article from MSNBC about how drinking coffee can lead to miscarriage in pregnancy.

I sent them back the Top 10 Reasons why I should not have a child (though they could probably apply to many people):
  • Can’t do hot yoga. (Not for the first few months anyway.)
  • Can't drink wine. (Though I only have it every other day anyway. And I can never finish my five ounces.)
  • Can't do exercise classes. (I'm really starting to like the Latin Groove and Red Carpet Ready classes. And there's a new one I want to try called Impact!)
  • Can't drink coffee. (I only have two "cups" max each day. But still.)
  • Will get fat during pregnancy. (Everyone does.)
  • Will get bad hormonal skin during pregnancy. (And you can't do certain things to fix it... Like cool laser therapy.)
  • Will get no sleep during pregnancy because it is too uncomfortable to sleep during the last trimester.
  • Once baby comes, will get no sleep because it needs constant attention.
  • Will have no personal time to do whatever I want whenever I want.
  • Will be considered a "Bad mother" if I don't conform to the "normal mommy" stuff... Like spending lots of time with the baby. Or think that its mere existence is "the most magical thing."
Perhaps I am rebelling against the whole "kid" thing lately because I keep having people say the following things to me:
  • "Kids make life worth living!" (Said to me by a woman when I told her I was "unsure" about kids. I wanted to respond with, "Yeah? I kinda think my life is already 'worth living.'" But instead, I just smiled politely.)
  • "You're not getting any younger." (I responded to this person with, "Neither are you. But I'm only 30. And you're 38.")
  • "When are you having kids? Are you trying?" (I don't mind this question from people who I have shared this type of info with. But when people who I don't really know well ask me this every time they see me, it gets annoying. I always answer with "NO!" It's none of their business.)
Biologically, women get the shit-end of the deal when it comes to having kids. Not only do we have to do most of the work during pregnancy, we likely get stuck doing most of the initial work after pregnancy too. Plus, we have to get fat AND give up coffee?

Umm, "no thanks." I don't really know that PREGNANCY is for me. Kids? Perhaps. But pregnancy? No.

Comments

Vanessa said…
Agreed! I think childless couples and (childless) singles get the short end of the stick on so many things. Just as an example, time off work. Another peeve? How everyone who has a baby makes it their mission in life to convince you to do the same as though you are not capable of choosing for yourself because there is no way you could possibly know what you are missing out on. I'd rather spend my disposable income on travel, eating out and my dogs, not diapers and band aids.
Me said…
Vanessa, you and I are soul mates! Completely agree with you!
Anonymous said…
I hate that people assume that - just because you're a woman - you must be hoping and praying and COUNTING DOWN THE DAYS until you make your life complete by getting married and then having many babies.

I've spent the past 4 years fending off questions about whether the BF and I are getting engaged. And if not, why not? And have I thought about getting his mother on "my side" so that she can pressure him to propose?

God forbid we actually make a decision about what's right for US, right?

Do I sound bitter? Sorry! I guess that was all a long way of saying that I agree with you! Good luck staying patient!
Anonymous said…
yay -- i have found some women who are actually on the same page as me!

@anna -- i have spent the last TEN years fending of the engagement question (well, probably five, no one really pressured us til we were out of college, but still...) it really is the most annoying thing on the planet!

@ vanessa & the missus -- not quite sure why people feel it is (a) their business and (b) a completely OK topic. i mean, aside from the fact that IT IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS, i would never ask a woman or couple their baby-making plans, with all the fertility issues people have these days, that is one fire i don't want to jump in accidentally with someone!

hurrah to all of us for doing what WE want...whether it is marriage, baby-makin' or what have you...

Popular Posts