I Punched A Cake.

So... I guess one could call me a "bit quirky." (Though, I prefer to be called "eccentric" because it sounds cooler.)

Last week, a box unexpectedly showed up to our office. It didn't have a person's name on it. It simply read our company name in the "To" spot. So a co-worker and I opened it. Inside was a cake.

We looked in the box for bill or card saying if it was from a vendor of ours... But there was nothing in the box but a cake. So I sent out an email to the office that there was cake delivered... And if it was someone in particulars cake, they could claim it at my desk.

Well, no one seemed to know where the cake came from. So I figured it was just a random cake that was delivered. And since it was no one in particulars cake, I decided to punch it.

Now, before you start to think I ruined a perfectly good tea cake (or "coffee cake," if you will), I have to tell you that it was wrapped inside a thick plastic bag and there was bubble wrap around it. So there was no damage to the cake. (Unless "tea cakes" have feelings... Though, I consider them a "lesser cake" than most other cakes... As there is no frosting on "tea cakes.") I just felt like punching a big bundled cake to see if I could do any damage.

We opened the cake from all it's wrappings... And there was no damage. It was still perfectly intact. So we decided to eat some... And it was very good.

Then, this week, another cake mysteriously arrived from the same company that sent it last week. And again, no name or gift information was included. But we quickly learned (from our informed office leader) that the cake was something the "mother office" would be having sent to us every week. It was one of those "extra perks" you get working at companies.

So, I decided not to punch this week's cake, even though I really wanted to.

This week's cake was an "Apple crumb cake." But it wasn't as good as last week's "Cinnamon cake." My co-worker and I came to the conclusion that this week's cake isn't as good because I did not punch it.

So I will simply have to punch next week's cake when it arrives. We think that's what makes it good. It's like a ceremonial thing. Some people pray before they eat cake. I punch it.

Comments

Vanessa said…
I want these perks!
Anonymous said…
i'm not quite sure what to say about this behavior...but i felt i must comment...
Me said…
I'm not really going to punch the cake again. It was just funny to see my boss's expression when I did punch it.

Now that I know it's "office property," I wouldn't dare mistreat it.
Anonymous said…
i just think it is hilarious. i just commented today that me and my 2 closest coworkers sound, at any moment, like a seinfeld episode. and this? SO seinfeld!
Anonymous said…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKL_4LJkm1k THIS IS WHAT YOU CALL PUNCHING A CAKE
Me said…
Wow! You got that right!

Popular Posts