Thank God I Work In Downtown!

About an hour ago, I decided to try going outside.

Foolish thing to do, I know.

But I had to. I needed some chicken soup to go with the sandwich I brought from home. My goal was to make it the Asshole Convention (also known as "Au Bon Pain" at lunchtime), but I just couldn't make it that far. I ducked into the Borders bookstore downstairs, to try and catch a break. Then I decided to just go over to Bruegger's and get some chicken soup there. (It was good!)

But that all got me thinking how fortunate I am to work where I do in downtown, and to have a variety of options within a few (less than a hundred) feet. I mean, it was too cold to make an attempt to to the Cosi that's just down the block. The windchill is ust too brutal out there!

I may pop downstairs to get a decaf coffee at the Starbucks across the street in a little while. That's maybe 30 feet from the door of my building. I can make it that far.

Any further though, and I would be screwed. (I'm just grateful Starbucks is closer than Dunkin Donuts. I would completely stop drinking coffee if my closest option was a Dunks... EWW!)

Comments

Anonymous said…
agreed. one of the deciding factors in taking my current job 3 years ago was that sebastian's was in my lobby and starbucks is directly across the street -- for both the freezing winter months and sweaty summer months.
Me said…
You know, it's funny... After I left my agency jon in the fall of 2006, I had people (mostly recruiters and HR people at other firms who wanted to hire me) tell me I was crazy for having the following requirements in my next job:

*I have to be able to walk/subway commute to it.
*It has to have normal 9am-5pm work hours, with little overtime.
*It has to be near coffee shops.
*It has to be easy to get from my office to the yoga studio in mere minutes.

Soooo many recruiters (who contacted me, by the way, I never contacted them) laughed at me for being "picky."

My response to them was "yeah, I don't need a job that badly. I money becomes an issue, I'm not afraid to get a job in retail."

NEVER cave, people! Work will find you. Set up and be firm on your demands.
Anonymous said…
Ha, that's too funny Bex, I was going to say the same thing. I think we work in the same building!

Popular Posts