A Bad Marriage Is Worse Than Being Single?

Time to scare all the single people out there into getting married again!!!!

Don't know if you all have seen this article on how marriage quality affects your blood pressure... But the first sentence of the article really irked me...

"A happy marriage is good for your blood pressure, but a stressed one can be worse than being single, a preliminary study suggests."

Since when is being single a bad thing?????

Of course, I do agree with the article (and this shouldn't shocking to anyone) that a bad marriage will take it's toll on your health. And it's not worth it to be married just to be married... You have to be able to be happy with the person you're married to. And just being "married" ain't gonna make you happy.

I don't think people should rely on marriage as a way to be "happy and healthy." I say, "Rely on your self. Know how to be happy with 'you.' Make 'you' your priority in life. Everything else will fall into place once you do that."

A marriage should add to your happiness... Not be the sole reason for it. And I feel the same way about children. Just because you have them doesn't mean you will magically be "happy" and have "purpose" in life. They should enhance your life. Not be the sole focus.

Comments

nancy said…
AMEN Sister! I spent the better part of the 90's believing that I "HAD" to be married just to be married... Lost 180lbs of ex-husband and realized it was me who was in charge of make me happy... Now I am happily married and that means everything... You said it well! :o)
Frogger said…
I'm not opposed to meeting someone, but does that mean I'm giving up the single-life I love and currently live? Absolutely not. You are right -- being married should be an added-value, not a must-do. Being healthy is about being yourself and living for you.

Popular Posts