Dhanurasana: Bow Pose.

I had a dream last night... I was doing Bikram yoga in it... And I was able to easily and beautifully get into dhanurasana, the floor bow pose.



This is a pose that is difficult for me to execute. You have to use your butt muscles and leg muscles like crazy. You can't rely on gravity to help your back curve and push your legs up. It's pretty much pure ass you gotta rely on. You can't use your arm muscles. And you must keep your knees, legs and feet no more than six inches apart.

It's a difficult pose.

But last night, I had a dream that I was in Bikram class and something clicked in my brain. I figured out how to get into the pose and push my legs up very high.

"Very good Missus," the teacher said to me.

I wish I could remember what exactly it was that synched up in my brain in the dream to make me execute the pose so well. I must make some progress on this pose during this 30-day challenge.

Comments

Unknown said…
Please don't hurt yourself doing doubles when you're sick or trying to achieve a picture perfect pose. Progress in yoga is all about settling the mind and finding comfort and stability in the poses!

Have fun. Yoga is silly!

(p.s. Even though I'm an Ashtangi by trade I have no problem with Bikram.)
Me said…
LOL!

No worries Cody. I am actually saving my doubles for later in my 30-day. I am just going to go to one class today and one class tomorrow. I might try the doubles next weekend.
Vanessa said…
I wonder if something in the dream will present deja vu-like later in class for you. As in, this pose will suddenly be easier? Good luck and I'm in Cody's camp...progress not perfection!
Anonymous said…
Why Cody, what a surprise to see you here! Small blog world.
thedancingj said…
Too funny... I know this is so old, but I just looked up this post again because I had EXACTLY the same dream 2 nights ago. Except in my dream I was practicing at headquarters in LA, and I was next to Ashley (the girl in your picture)!! I saw her kicking insanely high and I realized I could do it too and I got so high that my legs were almost totally straight. Tried it in real life next day - did not work - but I think I DID get a bit higher just thru the visualization. Love it.

J :)

Popular Posts