Get Some Self Respect, Ladies!

I haven't watched The Bachelor in almost six years... Since the second season, I believe. I never really understood why women (or men) would jump at the chance to "find true love" on reality TV, all while competing with a dozen or so other people.

How could a respecting and equal relationship come about between two people, when one of them gets to date around all through the courtship? I think it is high time we put this show to rest.

I am writing about this, of course, because of last night's season finale. I haven't watched this season, but I read the recap of last night's finale and after-show... And I am disgusted. Not as much at the bachelor as I am at the two women he had to choose from in the finale. My question to both of them is...

"Why do you think so lowly of yourself?"

Why would any woman (or man) fall in love - let alone agree to marry - with someone who is courting and kissing other people at the same time? When you fall in love with someone, and want to marry them, don't you want them to be only romantically involved with you?

I guess I am tired of, season after season, hearing about the un-chosen finalists being left in tears and the proposals that go to the winners... Only to be broken off in short course.

Please people... Band with me. Stop watching this dreadful show, which only serves to provide sensationalized and unrealistic story lines. At the very least, they need to stop calling it "reality TV" and start referring to it as "scripted outline TV." Because we now know it to be partially scripted.

Comments

That Girl! said…
I couldn't agree more! My esteem for Kelly Ripa went up 1000 fold when the first Bachelor ever aired and she summed it up this way, (sarcastically)"Yeah, there's nothing I'd like more than to fight with my fellow sisters over a man that's less than mediocre". Ahem Kelly!!

But Rock of Love Bus gets a free pass in my book. It's just so beyond ridic that I love it.
Me said…
So true, JT... Rock of love is just a fun, nasty, skanky train wreck to watch.
Frogger said…
I admit I have actually never watched the Bachelor. But last night, I was trying to put my tired self to sleep, and I needed something to serve as background noise. I found "the Bachelor." Within five minutes I was sitting up in bed, jaw on the ground, shaking my head saying aloud, "this has GOT to be a joke!" Then when the two women came on the show... I was even more appalled at what I was seeing (and yet, I couldn't turn the TV off).

I sat there stunned and yelling at the TV - "Are you kidding me!?" "Walk away!!" And then I realized, both girls are 24 years old. They are so young and so naive. That doesn't excuse the ridiculousness of the show, but all I kept thinking is that a woman with a little more experience in her life would have bitch-slapped the guy and walked off the set.

Popular Posts