Healthy Dish For The Weak: Ratatouille.

One of my favorite animated films of all time (next to Aladdin - for sentimental reasons) is Ratatouille. If you haven't seen it, you should. It's about a rat who can cook. And he makes a dish of stewed vegetables (well, he does it like a casserole). And after a year and a half, I finally got around to trying my hand at ratatouille.

I researched and studied different recipes for the dish online and in cookbooks. I couldn't find a recipe that really spoke to me, so I just made up my own and served it on angel hair pasta...



It's really good. No lie. It's basically just a bunch of veggies that you saute up.

Ingredients:
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil (1 tablespoon)
  • Zucchini (1)
  • Yellow Squash (1)
  • Tomatoes (3 plum, seeded and chopped)
  • White Onion (1/4 onion, diced)
  • Garlic Cloves (2, chopped)
  • Basil (1 handful, chiffonade)
  • Pecorino Romano Cheese (Grated)
Directions:
Heat saute pan over medium high hear. Drop in olive oil. Throw in onion, cook for about three minutes. Next, throw in garlic for a minute. Then drop in the zucchini and squash, cooking and tossing for about five minutes. Next, toss the tomatoes in and cook for two minutes. Finish by throwing the basil in and heating for about a minute. Serve over pasta, top with grated cheese.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yum! I use my mother's recipe which is like a casserole, but I'm going to have to try your's to save on time! Also, I like to throw in some pine nuts, its a nice nice added flavor.

I really enjoy your blog and must thank you for the hot tip on the Hunter wellies, I got them just in time for this nasty weather!
Me said…
Ohh! Pine nuts WOULD be good in it! Make for a nice texture too!

Yes... I am getting a lot of use out of my wellies too. It's nice to be able to walk through the snow and not have the soaking feet!

Popular Posts