Heart Rate: 204 BPM!

Holy hell!

I had my usual boxing session with The Trainer yesterday. Tuesdays we lift, Thursdays we box. Or rather, he makes me do boxing drills.

In case you were unaware, boxing drills are phenomenal cardio workout. It's more than just punches... We do kicks, punch-kick combinations, jump rope, jumping jacks and crunches. Or rather, I do them... All to the sounds of Eminem, Depeche Mode, Survivor, Run DMC, Madonna and other artists on my playlist.

The past two weeks, though, he has begun to torture me.

At the end of each boxing session, he sets the boxing studio timer for five minutes. He hands me the jump rope and tells me to, "Go." I then have to jump rope for fiveminutes straight. And each time I mess up with the rope, I have to do something called a "Burpee."

If you have never done a burpee before, be ever so grateful. They are called that because when you do them, you want to puke your guts our. My trainer makes me do a jump before I go down into the burpee.

And I don't have to do just one burpee for every time I mess up with the jump rope. No, he doubles them every time. So, the first time I mess up, I do one. The second time, I do two. The third time, I do FOUR. The fourth time, I do EIGHT. And so on... And in case you are unaware, I SUCK at jumping rope. And I am lucky to go a full 20 seconds without messing up!

So, as you can imagine, yesterday I had to do quite a few burpees. And with jumping the rope, then jumping up and down into burpees... Well, I got dizzy. Very dizzy. Which never happens. So I looked down at my heart rate monitoring watch and saw something very scary...

It read: 204

YIKES!

I am (almost) 32. That means my "target" heart rate for workouts is 132 to 169 for a vigorous workout. I stay perfectly in that range when we lift weights or when I do Bikram. But yesterday, I went up to 204... And that is almost 20 beats higher than my MAXIMUM heart rate recommendation.

The thing about me, though, is my heart rate will quickly drop back down to normal when I push myself in exercise and then rest. So after resting a minute, I was back down to like 135. But I can't believe it got that high!

I think my trainer may be rethinking the burpees in the future.

Comments

That Girl! said…
I taught E how to do a burpee just last night!! I made her do 5-8 at a time four rounds among other things. I think she was ready to kill me at the end of our workout together :)
Duffy Pratt said…
If the 204 BPM was accurate (and it likely was), then you are going to have to adjust your target heart rates. The 220-age formula for max heart rate is a gross approximation of a national average. It has nothing to do with what any individual's max heart rate really is.
Anonymous said…
This happened to me yesterday. I was doing 30 second intervals making double jumps (50 double jumps in 30 seconds and one minute rest, Firts time I attemt that, I ususally do 100+ single jumps in 30 seconds).
I thought the measruing system was worong or something as it dropped down to 160 in like 10 seconds. But then after the 3th interval I was feeling really sick. I had a very ugly pressure drop, very scary.
Maybe the watch wasn't wrong. I thought it was impossible to get that high heart rate. The watch conmstantly gives me lagging measures. Like I end the interval and it says 110 and then after a couple seconds it goes up to 150 or somethign like that. Opposite true, it shows 180-190 and thenafter a couple seconds goes down.
I wonder how precise this things are.

Popular Posts