It Must Be The Bikram?

Monday, I hurt my calf muscle. Badly. I couldn't really walk. No swelling. Just pain while walking. And I had a cankle. Only one.

Tuesday, I woke up and still walked funny... But it hurt less. Still no swelling. The doctor gave me crutches and told me I had likely "torn my right calf muscle." He said it would "take weeks to heel." I was told to use the crutches. I used them only outside, not at home. By the end of the day, I was able to walk - funny - with no pain.

Wednesday, woke up. Went to Starbucks. Went to train with The Trainer. Walked around the Pru. Walked to dinner at Sibling Rivalry. Was mostly able to walk with no hobbling. Had no pain, except for the occasional "deep stretch" feeling when I walked to quickly.

Thursday, woke up. Went to Starbucks. Went to the movie theater - was too late to see the movie. Walked across the park, down Newbury Street, to Best Buy. Bought a vacuum cleaner. Carried it all the way home. Walked without a hobble. Walked with no pain.

I think the Bikram - which I haven't been to since last week - helps the body to heal faster.

Comments

Ally W said…
I don't do bikram but I do do Hot Vinyasa and my back is KILLING me - I think I just slept funny or maybe pulled it working out yesterday, but before reading your blog I had decided not to go because I hurt too much...now I'm going to go - maybe the stretch and the heat could do me good too!!!!!! Good job with the healing of the "cankle"!
Me said…
I used to have back pain a lot... Then I started doing yoga regularly - specifically Bikram... And now I have a MUCH stronger back.

Good idea, still going to class, even with the back pain. It helps to be in the hot room, even if you can't move around that much.
Ally W said…
thanks for the help Missus :) Can I ask you another yoga question?? Can you do yoga back to back? Or is it like strength training when you should give a day of rest in between?? Also do you recommend Yogitoes? I'm slipping all over in my own sweat - ick!!!
Ally W said…
ps Have been following your blog for about four months now - LOVE IT :) I'm from Ottawa and Montreal, Canada originally, but spent some time in TO...let me know if you need have any questions :)
Me said…
OMG! I LOVE YOGITOES!

I have four towels in various colors that I bought over 4 years ago... And they have held up so well!

I've never done a "suicide"... That's what I call doing two classes, one right after the other. I have done two classes in one day though... One in the AM and one in the PM. I like to have about three hours in between to rehydrate.

I love that you're Canadian! You people are everywhere! And so nice!
Vanessa said…
No matter what it was, just glad your leg is feeling better and pain free!
Meg said…
Not to scare you or over react, etc but when i was in high school and playing soccer, I somehow partial torn the tendon in my calf. It hurt a lot although I didn't need the crutches. It started feeling good and I started to push it and promptly stopped when my trainer told me if I kept pushing it I would need surgury. So I stopped. :o) Just be careful you don;t push it too much even though it feels better in case it is something more serious. I am probably over reacting too. :o)
Me said…
Thanks for the advice, Meg! I am definitely taking it easy with the workouts and yoga till I meet with the foot doctor next Tuesday. I don't want to jinx myself by pushing it because I think I am well.
Anonymous said…
hello there! i stumbled upon your blog when googling about yoga. i used to be a hard core runner in my younger days, and now i'm looking for a gentler workout. based on my limited experience with exercise, i would caution you to be careful when stretching in a hot room. the higher temperature loosens your muscle so that you can stretch farther; if you're not careful, you can overstretch and cause yourself damage. just a friendly warning. what is it that they say in yoga? listen to your body, and respect your limitations.
Me said…
Much appreciated on the warning. It is definitely the reason why I have not gone to Bikram this week.

Popular Posts