Beauty Confidential by Nadine Haobsh.

About two years ago, I began reading JolieinNYC every day. I was obsessed with getting my fix of daily gossip and beauty advice.

Nadine Haobsh, the author of JolieinNYC, was a dethroned glossy magazine beauty editor. (Her blog got her into trouble.) But because she is a naturally talented writer, Nadine had any opportunities to pursue outside of the magazine-beauty-editor world. She took her knowledge and wrote a beauty book, Beauty Confidential: The No Preaching, No Lies, Advice-You'll- Actually-Use Guide to Looking Your Best, which came out this past Tuesday.



Now, I have a ton on different beauty books. I didn't really need another one. And I hadn't planned on picking this one up. But then I read an interview with Nadine about the book online and realized I needed to pick it up.

It really is a no-nonsense beauty book. And it has actual USEFUL tips. Including...
  • Don't wash your hair every day. I've said this before, myself. And many beauty books say this. But it's so true... You don't need to wash your hair every day.
  • How to create the perfect ponytail. Believe it or not, this is a hard thing to do... Especially if you have really think hair, like me. Low ponytails, which are the chicest things to wear, always look bulky on me. But Nadine has GREAT advice on how to combat this problem... Straightening shampoos and a flat iron. Oh! And a sleek-inducing blow dryer!
  • How to decipher hair stylists' glossary of looks. Long layers. Blunt cuts. Shag versus Fringed versus Feathered. Graduated Bobs. She defines them all for you AND she tells you which ones will likely work best on various face shapes (Round versus Oval versus Heart versus Square).
  • How to properly put on eyeliner, as well as how NOT to be "shy" with your make-up. I am disaster when it comes to eyeliner. It always smudges on me, no matter how much powder I use on top of it. But I've realized that I am applying it in the WRONG place on my lower eyelid. I need to be placing it more on the inside of the lash line instead of outside it. Plus, Nadine discusses how to apply the rest of your make-up so that it enhances you.
It's a great book, and I highly recommend picking it up. I am only half-way through it. But it will definitely be a beauty manual I will return to from time to time.

Comments

Popular Posts