Interval Training, The Evolution.

So, I did the interval training that I wrote about last week. It was recommended to me by my trainer at Equinox.

I followed her initial pattern. But instead of stopping at 6.5 mph, I continued up to 8 mph. The next day I came into work and told her about it. She was surprised I was able to run that fast and maintain my form. So she evolved the the internal training plan to the following:
  • 8 sets of 7 mph for 30 seconds
  • 1 minute full stop in between
  • 5 minute walk/jog warm-up and cool down
I've done it this way twice since last week. And it is definitely challenging. But very cool. I actually like running. I never thought I'd ever say that. And doing intervals is so easy, I just never realized.

I mean, the most intimidating thing for me whenever I thought about running before, was the idea of running for a long time. But with intervals, you have a defined stopping time. And it's only 30 second. It goes by so quickly. And then you stop!

They're a great way to learn to run and to get in shape. The extreme differences in your heart rate in a short amount of time means your body has to work extra hard. And that means it is burning through calories.

Comments

Misty said…
thats cool. I've never heard of this...
danny/ink2metal said…
interval training is one of the best ways to effectively use a treadmill.

i just never saw it being used in such short spurts in between resting.

i like doing a mix of jogging, running and walking while adjusting the incline to hit its highest points while walking/climbing.

that way you do aerobic and fat burning during the same session.

anyway, good luck. i don't like actually dieting either and i try not to diet per se, but i do watch what i eat and adjust portions instead of depriving myself of the things i crave.

Popular Posts