Happy Thanksgiving!

A little late in the day to be sending out Thanksgiving wishes... But I'm still on vacation! And it's my last day of va-cay! So I spent it on the beach ALLLLL DAAAAAY!

It was sunny again today. The Husband loves it here so much that he has suggested we start popping down here twice a year. It's a quick enough trip down. And you really only need 3 to 4 days (tops) to have a good time. And it's relatively cheap each time (less than $2k.)

Even though it isn't a local holiday, I did manage to find a turkey dinner on a restaurant menu. And I ordered it. It wasn't the same as the way I make turkey. But it was sufficient. And dessert was yummy... A molten chocolate cake with ice cream. (There was no pie on the menu.)

We hop on a plane back to America tomorrow very early. I haven't had coffee the entire time I've been here. I've gotten through four of the five books I brought down. I have just the one the Dalai Lama wrote about spirituality and science. It's a bit of a heavy book. So it may take me a while to finish.

Here are my quick reviews of the other four books I have read...

Dress Your Family In Corduroy And Denim - By David Sedaris, this book is AWESOME! As all his books are... This one was definitely "laugh out loud" funny. I highly recommend it.

The Female Brain - A VERY good read. All about female hormones. The writer (a doctor) discusses the differences between male and female hormones at various stages of life. And what she wrote makes a lot of sense. It was an easy read as well.

Julie & Julia - I am so happy this book was recommended to me. A "funny as hell" read.

Elements of Style - I find the late Wendy Wasserstein to be a very talented and inspirational writer. But... This book kinda blew. My biggest issue with it was her inaccurate timeline for the really small elements of the book that should be insignificant to the reader, but are meant to shape the story. Two examples:
*In one part of the book, it is supposed to be October/November 2001. One character (a mother) yells at a nanny for letting the children watch "Punk'd" on MTV, something they are forbidden to do. HOWEVER, Punk'd did not begin airing on MTV till March of 2003.
*Another piece of the story takes place in early 2002. One of the characters throws a hiphop benefit in Brooklyn. Many celebrities attend. Including 50-Cent who raps his "In Da Club" single. That single didn't drop till LATE 2002 though. And the album didn't get released till early 2003.

Comments

Popular Posts