Go Helena!

I am a pretty defensive person. I am. I can admit that. I let small comments go by. But when it comes to certain issues that really push my buttons, I will pretty much take someone to task and bite their balls off.

I got quite the kick out of a little post on Page Six this morning about Helena Bonham Carter, who is currently eight months pregnant and isn't afraid to make it clear that unsolicited health advice isn't going to be graciously accepted.

"People - particularly men - saying with surprise, 'You're still drinking caffeine?' as if I'm performing a criminal act on my unborn as I tuck into my treasured one-a-day cup of tea/coffee. Yeah. You try nine months of gestation and self-abnegation before you start censoring my diet. Your mother was probably on vodka, and do you have three heads?"

Here's a tip people (both men and women), don't ever try to give health advice (unless you're a medical professional or midwife) to a woman with an obscene amount of hormones in her body.

It surprises me how clueless people can be when it comes to pregnant women. ESPECIALLY when it comes to caffeine. A certain amount of caffeine is TOTALLY fine for a pregnant woman. And believe it or not, in the later stages of pregnancy, even an occasional glass of wine or beer is fine for pregnant women as well.

I would never try to give unsolicited advice to a pregnant woman. I would prefer to die of natural causes. Not manslaughter. (Because, it definitely would be spontaneous and not premeditated.)

Comments

When I was in college and waitressing at Joe's American Bar and Grill, I waited on a pregnant woman and her husband. The convo went as follows:

Woman: "And I'll have the bacon cheeseburger, but make sure it's well done."
Me: "Of course."
Woman: "And the bacon, too, must be well done."
Me: "I'll let the chef know."
Woman: "Listen."
I look.
Woman: "This bacon must be extremely well done. It can't have any rawness on it. I'm pregnant."
Me: "Of course. I'll talk to the chef myself, and I'll make sure that it is extremely, extremely well done."
Woman: "And I'll have a glass of Ravenswood Zinfandel."

I was incredulously repeating the conversation in the kitchen until one of the pregnant waitresses took me aside and told me that drinking wine while pregnant wasn't nearly as bad as eating somewhat raw bacon.
Me said…
LOL! Yah, I used to freak out when I bartended and saw pregnant women ordering shots of whiskey. (No lie.) But legally, you can not refuse service to them.

I think it's so hyped up in America that you can't drink while pregnant... While in Europe, they encourage a weekly glass of wine for the mother's sanity.

I would personnally never drink hard liquor if I was pregnant... because what nutritional value is there in that? But beer and wine do provide some nutritional value.

Popular Posts