Jesus Camp.

So... I am really bad sometimes with my Netflix-ing. I have had two films for about two months now. But I finally got around to watching one of them last night... And it was good.

The film was Jesus Camp. It's a documentary about the "revivalist subculture" of teaching children to spread fundamentalist beliefs.

Check out the trailer...


I am all for families building traditions and teaching their kids about what they believe. But, I have a problem with this fundamentalist subculture where you only teach the kids, "Our way is the only right way. And you HAVE to go out there and tell other people they're wrong."

... Because they are teaching these kids that. (Scary!)

My favorite part in the film is when one little girl tells the filmmakers that she is not allowed to dance much because she hasn't learned how to separate when she "dances for God" from "when she dances for the flesh."

The little girl is 10. I really doubt her dancing is about being risque.

I definitely recommend adding this to your Netflix queue.

Comments

Misty said…
(linked to you via NaBloPoMo)

First off, I am a bad netflixer too... I let things sit here forever, at times. other times can't seem to watch them fast enough.

Second, I am a Believer. (which is vague, but I hate the word Christian because it seriously is associated with nothing good.) That movie was indeed creepy. When you have elementary aged kids struggling with the burdens they seemed to have, and sobbing with gut wrenching tears because of causes they are truly too young to comprehend- well I think it's slightly abusive. Inflicting a child with emotional anguish to further your own agenda is a big, bad wrong. Especially since these horrible things will go with them forever and bloom into mega issues. That's what we need, adults with MORE issues than the normal every day ones...

So yes... there you have it, a mini rant to say "well said!"
Anonymous said…
(surfed in from the NaBloPoMo randomizer) Holy crap, that is a scary film. I worked for my college's theatre for a summer and ended up running the lights and sound for services of a visiting evangelical camp and found them to be the most terrifying thing I've ever seen. There was shaking, crying, convulsing, speaking in tongues, rants against homosexuals, Catholics, Jews and anyone else who didn't agree with them.

I'm an agnostic, but I grew up going to church and even picked a Mennonite college. I believe that religion in most forms can be a definite force for good even if I personally can't bring myself to believe. But forcing that kind intense spirituality onto children is morally bankrupt at least and downright evil at best.

(Incidentaly, I spent many summers at church camps. We pretty much just sang Kum By Yah, made S'mores, jumped in the creek and tried to cop off with eachother as much as possible!)
I was pretty disturbed when seeing this film. I remember reading a review of it, either by Roger Ebert or someone else, and the reviewer said that the lady who runs the camp and all of her people were very pleased with how it came out. They thought it portrayed them exactly how they wanted to be betrayed.

Now, THAT is scary.

Popular Posts