"It's The Smallest Vehicle We Have."

After a nice delay in Dallas, as we made our way home to Arizona, we got into Tucson International Airport quite late. Therefore, we got stuck with whatever vehicle they had left.

I had requested an economy car... On the small side. The rental agent assured me that this was the smallest vehicle they had...



A big ass red truck is what I got.

Before we left the rental car lot, I asked the agent to please turn the lights on for me. Since I don't drive often, and this was an unfamiliar vehicle, I didn't want to be left wondering where the lights were on the dash board. So he showed me where they were and turned them on for me.

"All American cars have the lights on the dashboard," he informed me.

Thing is though, this is a Japanese make. So I should have picked up then that maybe he wasn't all that informed on the vehicle.

So we get into our truck (The Husband and I), and we start down I-10 towards the town I grew up in and my family still lives (Sierra Vista). As we drove though, I felt like the lights weren't working well... Or that maybe I was too tired to drive.

"Do these lights even look like they're on?" I asked The Husband.

"I don't know," he said, "I guess."

(Neither of us drive... Ever. Well, me more than he.)

About 10 minutes down I-10 I see the dreaded blue and red lights flashing behind me.

"Eff!" I scream. "I know I wasn't speeding. It's 75... I was going 70."

We pull over. The officer gets out and comes up to the passenger side window.

"Ma'am," he began, "Do you know why I pulled you over."

I am a pretty honest person.

"I wasn't speeding officer, "I told him. "So I'm not sure why. Sorry."

He agreed I wasn't speeding.

"You're driving with your fog lights on," he informed me.

"Ahh!" I screech. "I even asked our rental agent to turn them on for me, and he said they were on."

The officer kindly spent the next few minutes with me working out the lighting system. He actually had a hard time trying to figure out with me which were my brights and which were my low beams. Eventually, we went with one look of the lights. He then let me off with a warning.

So I drove the hour home to my parents with my lights the way the officer showed me to drive with them. Turns out, though, I was using my brights. The whole way home. Even as I passed cars on the freeway and highway.

I do like driving in the truck though. But I still have no desire to own a car. (And Sierra Vista is probably the easiest place to drive in the world.)

Owning a car and having to drive every day would just be annoying. For me.

Comments

Anonymous said…
When I read the title of this post - I was sure you were refering to (or had purchased) a Smart Car smartusa.com.

I'm strongly considering giving up my mid-sized Mazda6 and getting one. Its so cute and tiny that you can park it perpendicular to the curb in a parallel space!
Me said…
Do it Amy! Do it!

I LOVE the Smartcars... They ROCK.
I'm thinking of doing the Smart Car thing, too, once my sister and I move to the South End this summer. At present time, we share a car (though right now she lives in Chinatown, so I have it and pay for it). I use mine a good deal, living in Somerville right now, but the snowstorms of the past few weeks and the prospect of living downtown make me want to sell it and save the money.

It's America's Walking City, after all!
Oops, I missed that and totally meant Zipcar!
Me said…
LOL! Zipcar is AWESOME!

I don't personally use it... But everyone else I know does. I have heard nothing but GOOD THINGS about it.

And I definitely DO NOT envy the people in the neighborhood who were having to dig out their cars from teh snow. Ugh!

Popular Posts