Extravagant & Inappropriate Gifts.

It's the holiday season... And when you work in search marketing, like I do, you start to receive holiday gifts from vendors.

Some vendors send you a card and wishes for the new year. Some send you fruit baskets. Some send you swag (like coffee mugs and pens) with their logo on it. Some even come into town and take you out for a nice meal.

I am totally cool with all of the above.

But what I am NOT cool with are the extravagant gifts from vendors.

I just received a blue box from Tiffany's containing two German crystal goblets in them.

While they are very lovely goblets, I am not really "okay" with accepting such an extravagant gift.
Why?

Well, it just doesn't feel right. Additionally, I currently don't spend money with this particular vendor. I have spent it in the past. But then they changed some things, and things weren't profitable. So I cut them loose.

The box did come with a gift receipt, so that I can exchange them at the store, should I choose. But I will not be doing that. And I'm not keeping them either. I am going to raffle them off at my company's holiday party in a few weeks.

That way, everyone in the office can maybe benefit from a lovely gift from a vendor.

Comments

Well, they ARE cheaper than most fruit baskets....
Me said…
True... But I guess my main problem is that with a fruitbasket, everyone in the office can enjoy it. Where as with these goblets, they're kind of meant for one person to take and enjoy.

I just don't think it's fair for my co-workers (who work justas hard as I do, and who don't get gifts from their vendors) that I get something and they don't.
Anonymous said…
why not regift?
Me said…
I would... If I wasn't going to raffle them off in the office. I would pair them with a bottle of wine if I was to regift them.

Popular Posts