Closet Essentials.

Every style book I pick up (and I am addicted to them, so I have MANY) lists the top items women need to have in their wardrobes... You know, the "essentials."

Most all include the Little Black dress. Also a white shirt. And a suit. And I absolutely agree with those. So, here is my full list of the top 12 items that I think a woman needs to have in her closet...

Little Black Dress

I have about five. And I wear them RARELY. This is because I work in a casual-dress office. I may bust them out more in 2008. My favorite LBD is y black wrap dress by Diane vonFurstenburg. That's a classic LBD.

Crispy White Button-Down Blouse
Whether you prefer it long-sleeved or short-sleeved, it goes with everything. It can be "dressed up" or "dressed down." If you're like me, once you find one you absolutely love, you pick it up in bulk. I have three of the same white blouse because I love it so much.

Black Suit

To be honest (and I will probably offend many of you with this statement) I think there is nothing more atrocious than a suit NOT in black, navy or dark grey. Any other color is simply NOT professional. And more importantly, a suit in any other color isn't versatile. I knew someone who once interviewed with me in a light pink suit. It was appropriate for a wedding, not a job interview. There were many reasons the gal wasn't right for the job... The suit was simply the "icing on the cake."

Black Knee-High Boots
The heel on these can be flat, stiletto, chunky, platform... Whatever you like. But knee-high boots are chic. And they are sexy. And they can make and outfit look even better... Especially if you go with a high-heeled version, because then you get extra height.

Cardigan

Preferably in cashmere, because it's good for all seasons. But, if cashmere isn't really in your budget, go for a cozy and soft wool blend. The best colors to pick up (for their flexibility) are black, cream, navy, red and petal pink.

Wool Trousers
MAKE SURE THEY ARE LINED. Nothing irks me more than picking up a pair of expensive but cool trousers, and then realizing they are not lined. The lining helps them weather the wear. Also, keep in mind when purchasing these how you intend to wear them... With flats or heels. You will need to have them tailored to fit your shoe style preference. No one wants to look like an "ass clown" wearing trousers that are too short for their heels or that droop around their ankles.

Stylish Flats

I LOVE flats. Pointed-toe, rounded-toe, moccasin-style... Doesn't matter. They are comfy and cute. And they can be made dressy or casual more easily than heels can. My current favorites are still my Jimmy Choo Ruby ones. Love at first site.

Nude & Black Bras
I don't wear bras in any other color. No white. No pink. No red. I just don't think they're grown-up. And nude and black bras are basic foundations. (And I only wear black and nude underwear, in case you were wondering.) I like good quality pieces, but I don't need a rainbow of colors on my foundation.

Clutch

I have a black one by Hobo International that I have used for years. It was my fancy dinner bag staple. But I also have an olive-green one I picked up this fall (also by Hobo International) that I tend to use for daytime. My dream clutch is still a Balenciaga (pictured above)... But that is just too out of my purchasing power.

Large & Stylish Work Bag
I prefer leather materials for my work bags. And they have to be large enough to carry my daily needs... And if they can fit my laptop, even better. Also, the strap should be able to fit over my shoulder.

Long-Sleeved Tees

I wear these every damn day. Under sweaters, to bed, at the gym. As soon as I get home each evening, I change into one. The best ones are by J. Crew. In my opinion.

JEANS
I saved my favorite item for last! Dark jeans (in particular) really can be dressed up or down. They can be very safe to wear to work, and then out to cocktails at a sexy lounge.

Now, I realize there are SO MANY things I could have/should have included on this list. But these are the ones that are probably the most notable to me. And, these are the ones that I truly have built my wardrobe around.

Comments

freeandflawed said…
I'm at a point where I need to update my wardrobe. My closet seems to annoy me on a daily basis. I've never really been one for fashion and what not (I can't even dress myself half the time.) But this post helps. I intend to pick up some essentials after Christmas :)
Anonymous said…
A light(er) gray suit isn't professional?? Oh, crap. I wouldn't wear mine to an interview, but now I'm worried I shouldn't wear it to the office at all. (I work in a conservative-dress law firm).
Be honest:
http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2905709/0~2376776~2374325~2383256~2383258?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=2383258&P=2
Me said…
Kimberley, I was just being cheeky! Of course the light grey is suitable! And probably very chic on you!

I lean more towards darker colors in suits... because I am always lookig for "slimming" things. Light grey isn't as slimming, for me. You probably don't have to worry about that.
Anonymous said…
Good! I know I'm odd for valuing the fashion advice of a complete stranger, but you seem to have great style.
Me said…
Aw shucks! You makes me blush missy!

Thanks!!

Popular Posts