Lola: Not My Best Friend.

I spent part of the afternoon (a small part) wandering around the SoWa Holiday Market with a pal. We saw lots of cute things that we would love to buy... But we just weren't ready to commit to what we saw.

In fact, the only thing each of us did pick up was something that was free... A copy of the premiere issue of Lola.

Despite it being available at shops and businesses for about three weeks, I hadn't gotten around to picking it up until today. And my verdict on it is... "Meh."

It's not bad. But it's not stellar. It's the Boston Globe, with useless fluff. (If I'm going to have "fluff," I want it to be super light and poofy!)

An example of my "meh"-ness... I saw what was pretty much an article (titled "Selfish I Dos" on page 22 of Lola) that was a retread from the Boston Globe Magazine a few weeks back. The one that talks about how married people are "selfish" and how "single is the new green."

So, after noticing that, I began to suspect that "Lola" is for women who don't read the Globe on a regular basis. (Which ain't me.)

The first 10 pages had useful "fluff" that I found informative... Like the little piece on Shelley Chhabra (a Cambridge-based designer), the "Your Advice" section (tips from readers), and "Lola's Mix"... Where I learned about Ravelry.com.

What made me sway towards a "thumbs down" for the magazine's first issue though, was just the lack of inspirational content in the remainder of the magazine. I know this is "Boston," but it feels like they tried too hard to make the content only about Boston-related stuff. And, when it comes to fashion and style, Lola was a bit of a "one-note" song. It was stale.

But, on a positive note, the magazine can really only improve from here... Right?

Comments

Popular Posts