Exchanging Currency.

So... I get on a plane tomorrow evening to head to London for seven days. But before I go, I wanted to exchange some American cash for sterling. I want to be able to pay for the express train into town and catch a cab right away. No time dawdling and exchanging cash once I get there.

So, I walked to the bank yesterday with about $300 in cash. I go up the "International Currency" window and ask to exchange the cash for sterling.

Anyone want to guess how much they gave me?

Anyone?

Really... Anyone?

For $302 (American) I got 145 in British pounds.

One hundred and forty-five!!!!

There is no way I will be able to make it on just that amount. I will have to withdraw cash sometime (probably) on Tuesday. I need to find some free and cheap things to do in London this weekend. (Time to bust out the London travel guide!)

At least there is something positive though... British money is very pretty.

Comments

bonbonagogo said…
I NEVER exchange money before I go to England. There are always ATMs at the airport and I just get money out of them when I get there. It's just sooo much easier! Have a fabu trip and eat a Crunchy Bar for me!
Frogger said…
It's always a good idea to take money with you, but word to the wise: it's cheaper to take money from the ATM when you're there. Another awesome UK tip: stroll the South Bank on Saturday night - tons of bars, restaurants and beautiful photo shots of the London Eye.
Beth said…
If you go to http://www.londontown.com/ there's a pdf under "London for Backpackers" that I found very interesting, though I haven't been to London yet myself. Hope you have a blast!
Anonymous said…
Congrats on being featured on Boston.com!! That's fantastic! :)
Anonymous said…
Yeah, the ATMs are the best way to go... you still won't get much for your USD though! Just remember, that 10 UKS souvenier is really going to cost you about double that.

Have a great trip, it's a great city!
Anonymous said…
If you use a credit card while abroad, the card will get you the best rate exchange when billing.
At this point in time though, don't expect miracles. It was well over a decade ago when I was in London and at the time you doubled the price in pounds to arrive at the amount in American dollars. Just go and have fun!
Anonymous said…
Credit cards don't always get you the best rate -- most credit cards add a 3% surcharge to the conversion rate. That's a $9 fee on a $300 charge, on top of whatever their exchange rate is.

Popular Posts