How To Begin Blogging.

A reader was kind enough to drop me a line last night. (I love getting email!) She had a few questions regarding blogging... "Ms O'Dooley" (I always use pseudonyms here at on the "Common...") wants to know how I got started blogging and whether or not I am able to make money from it.

These are great questions... And believe it or not, I get asked them all the time.

How I Got Started Blogging...
Prior to January 2006, I had started this blog many times since 2004. Each time, I would write a few posts, and then delete them. I would find myself hating what I wrote. After a year and a half, I "laid down the law" for myself. I said, "Duuuude... Just do it! Even if you write crap, who cares? You don't have to tell anyone you are writing."

So I did. I just started blogging.... Nearly every day. And I write about pretty much anything. I could be watching TV and see a commercial that prompts me to write about it... I could get crappy service at a restaurant and want to "flame" them... I could see a pair of shoes in a window in my neighborhood and think "Wouldn't it be great to get those?"

See... Pretty much anything. Overall, my goal with this blog is to just get writing. And writing about stuff I want to write about. I used to freelance write in my spare time for extra cash. But I stopped that because most of the time an editor would take what I wrote and completely rearrange it... Making it unrecognizable to me. They were no longer my words. Or my point of view.

So the blog began out of my desire to write out what I wanted, with no one else's interference.

Do you make money from it?
Nope. I don't. I certainly could though.

You may notice on other blogs people have ads. Either from Google or other display networks. I could do that too. But I choose not too. Bottom line: I want absolutely no interference from advertisers in any way on what I write about on this page.

For me, On Common Ground didn't grow from a desire to write and make money. It just grew from a need to get my view out. There are a few topics that I don't write about, but would love to. I don't write in detail about my job. And I don't write about some personal stuff, out of respect for The Husband. (Though there is one topic I would LOVE to write about... But have been asked not to.)

Blogging, in my opinion, is easy. You just have to get a sense of what you want to write about, and then just write it. My philosophy...

"You could write complete crap. But as long as you write often, people will come back to read it. People are hungry for content on the Internet. If you write it... They will come and read it."

Thanks for writing in Ms O'Dooley!

Comments

Anonymous said…
One of my guilty pleasures has been watching the housewives series, but this NJ series is the worst ... Teresa and her "Juicy" (yuck) husband, peeling off thousands while the economy is in the dumpster, and all of the cast acting and talking as if they're connected to the mafia or wish they were. An insult to we Italian-Americans who actually have class and substance with or without thousands to throw around. I am a NJ resident not far from where these people supposedly live. They give Italian-Americans and NJ a bad name. I'm embarrassed for all of them - they should be ashamed.
JB said…
I couldn't agree more! After a stressful week (I am a real housewife from Arizona!), my husband and I sat down for a glass of wine and some tv on evening last week. I turned on "RHWoNJ" and my husband has a cow that I was watching such trash. I told him we should just watch the mindless junk TV so we wouldn't have to "think." But their crass, uneducated nonsense did make me THINK! Wow--you're so right: in this horrible economy with every other person you meet these days losing jobs, retirement money, etc., what a shameful display of decedance and ignorance. These women are making such fools of themselves. I watched the RHWoNY a few times and I see very little difference between the marble-mouthed dialect and "I'm-gonna-kick-your-ass" metality of both these groups. Reality TV will produce such massive volumes in human behavior studies someday! I think the next time I want to unwind after a long week, I will watch reruns of "MASH" or "Seinfeld"--now there's humor that doesn't need to whore itself out for laughs!
elle34 said…
Oh my... what a fun blog! Some insider info and English lessons. Woohoo (oops - that's RHoOC, my bad).



Does anyone know who does Dina's hair at The Chateau? Is it all her own or are there extensions added? Just curious as I can't get my hair that big.

Popular Posts